Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old May 16, 2012, 4:30 AM   #21

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/79761733/1.tif

Forget the email here's a link to the full size file. ... J.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 5:40 AM   #22

wow that's brilliant mate much better than I could have ever achieved. how on earth do you use that quick selection tool as I just tried and it goes all over the place. it starts to mark around girl then went haywire. so do you just draw around the outline of the girl. then when its cut how do you make sure its not like a cardboard cut-out. also I am curious to know how you made her coat darker. brown and the shadows

Also the original photo measures 5 1/2in x 3 1/2in but when I loaded your 1.tif into PS it says whats below in snaps so what size is 5 1/2in x 3 1/2in

once again my many thanks to you

Last edited by acctim; May 16, 2012 at 6:04 AM.
acctim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 10:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by acctim View Post
wow that's brilliant mate much better than I could have ever achieved. how on earth do you use that quick selection tool as I just tried and it goes all over the place. it starts to mark around girl then went haywire. so do you just draw around the outline of the girl. then when its cut how do you make sure its not like a cardboard cut-out. also I am curious to know how you made her coat darker. brown and the shadows

Also the original photo measures 5 1/2in x 3 1/2in but when I loaded your 1.tif into PS it says whats below in snaps so what size is 5 1/2in x 3 1/2in

once again my many thanks to you
OK, Glad you like it, not sure how well it will print though.

The quick selection tool can get away from you in making selections ... try making the selection cursor smaller, use the left (decrease) and right (increase) bracket key shortcuts. the smaller it is the less sensitive it becomes.

Here's a quick video link showing how to use it, there are better ones though,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vru8BoENiHQ

You can speed things up though by using the keyboard shortcut .. hold down the Alt key to switch to - (subtract from selection)

Once you have the selection you can use the "Refine Selection" option from the toolbar ... Search google for videos on this ... it's more difficult to explain.

Not sure what you're querying re. the size, I think I just selected a similar canvas size to the original before I constructed the new background then imported the cut-out. You can also switch between any of the selection tools to help in making your selection.

Like most things you'll improve with practice, PS was never easy it's a steep learning curve. ... Jack.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:05 AM   #24

This site will help you with PS, there are free videos and ones were you need the annual pass ( Not sure what that costs)

http://www.thedigitalphotographyconn...k=%2FPFDP2.php
Old May 16, 2012, 1:19 PM   #25

many thanks for all your help. I have not as yet printed the picture out. but its certainly a hell of an improvement to the original. plus many thanks for the tutorial pages its most appreciated
acctim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 3:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by acctim View Post
many thanks for all your help. I have not as yet printed the picture out. but its certainly a hell of an improvement to the original. plus many thanks for the tutorial pages its most appreciated
Well google around for more tutorials there's plenty about I find the video ones best .. easier to follow, but you do need to practice to get results.

If you do much picture editing a Wacom tablet or similar is very useful especially when working on fiddly bits. Enjoy !. ... Cul ... Jack
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:08 PM   #27

Hi there,

I'd like to try to restore it! But the rescan.jpg link isn't active any more. Could you re-activate the link and I'll be happy to try!

Thanks,
moiraaa is offline   Reply With Quote