Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old May 13, 2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Default real bad photo

could anyone here please fix this photo as I would be so grateful but think its beyond repair

can no 1 see this post as had no replies, apologies if I am wrong

Last edited by acctim; May 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
acctim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Administrator

Yes, we can see it.

Patience. ;-)

Sometimes it can take days (or even weeks) before someone that's willing to tackle trying to help out with repairing an image will respond; and it's not unusual to see those types of threads go on for a long time with forum members with more advanced editing skills noticing the thread later and seeing what they can do with an image like that. Not everyone reads all new posts in all forums (especially not every day, and especially not on a Mother's Day Weekend). ;-)

I've got one I just scanned for my wife I'm thinking about posting in this forum, too -- scanned from an old 2x3" print that's seen it's better days. It's an old black and white print of her parents she really likes and wants to preserve (and the scratched and damaged wallet size print is the only one she has like that). That way (posting a scan of it here), some of our members with better editing skills than I have may be willing to make it look a bit better.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3

its not that I don't have patience its just that when I posted in another forum on here by mistake I got a reply in 5 mins so took for granted this post wasn't working. but obviously it is that's ok I will wait longer
Old May 13, 2012, 1:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by acctim View Post
its not that I don't have patience its just that when I posted in another forum on here by mistake I got a reply in 5 mins so took for granted this post wasn't working. but obviously it is that's ok I will wait longer
Sorry acctim we need a much better resolution file to do anything with it, I assume you've scanned this. Have another try an scan with more resolution. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 1:38 PM   #5
Administrator

If you click on it, it goes to a download site.

But, I can't figure out how to download it from there (or if the actual download is a higher resolution image than is displayed on that download page). I'm guessing you have to join the site to download one (which I have no intention of doing), unless the image on the download page is the higher resolution version.

acctim

I'd suggest you upload the highest resolution scan you have to one of the file storage and sharing sites like http://dropbox.com instead.

That way, members don't need to register with a service to download it and see adverts, etc. on a host's download pages.

Basically, you install the dropbox software (free) on your PC and you'll have a dropbox folder added under your file manager (Windows Explorer, OS X Finder, etc.).

Then, all you have to do is copy and paste files into any folders under the dropbox folder on your PC, and it will automatically copy them to the dropbox file servers in the background.

If you use the dropbox/public folder it creates on your PC, then all you have to do is "right click" on a file you copied to that folder, and you'll see a menu choice labeled Dropbox>Get Public URL.

Then, just paste that link into a forum post and anyone can download the file by clicking on it, without any need to install any software on their PC or register with a download site, etc., since you'd have a direct link to the actual file that way.

You get 2GB of disk space with them for free.

BTW, if you install their software on more than one PC, that lets you sync files between all of them so that the same files show up on more than one machine, as well as in your dropbox folders on their web site.

It's cross platform with software for Windows, Linux, Mac; and even some mobile phones now (with mobile versions available for iPad, iPod, Android).

Again, it's free for up to 2GB of storage, and they have pay plans for more. It's much nicer when sharing files with others, since you can get a "Public URL" for items in your dropbox public folder so that you can give links to others to download files (they'd just click on the link and use their internet browser to download files instead).

It only takes a minute or two to install and you can just copy a higher resolution version of that image to the dropbox/public folder it creates on your PC, then "right click" on the file and use the Dropbox menu choice it creates to "Get a Public URL" and paste it into a forum post here, where anyone can download it by clicking on that link without installing any software, or seeing any web pages like that host has wanting you to register to use the services (if you used dropbox, you'd be giving them a direct link to the file instead).

https://www.dropbox.com/
Old May 13, 2012, 1:48 PM   #6

Hi all many many thanks for all replying, I was told this photo isn't that bad. I scanned this at highest dpi 600. Its the highest scan I can do. and yes I also use dropbox so have now uploaded it to dopbox here is the link

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63789918/olive.jpg

please let me know if you can get this picture now. it would mean so much to me, as its my nan this was taken 85 years ago

Last edited by acctim; May 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 2:13 PM   #7
Administrator

You should be able to get a much larger image than that scanning it at 600 dpi.

For example, even if it's only a 2x3" print, at 600dpi you'd end up with an image size of 1800x1200 pixels (2" x 600dpi = 1200 pixels, 3" x 600dpi = 1800 pixels).

That image is only 352x554 pixels.

So, unless it was a very tiny photo (longest side was around 1 inch), you should have a much large scan than that at 600dpi.

352x554 pixels is what you'd end up with scanning an image that's only 0.59 by 0.92 inches in size (less than 1 inch in length on it's longest side) if scanning at 600dpi.

I'd check your scanning settings unless the longest side really was a bit shorter than 1 inch in length (tiny photo designed to fit in a small necklace pendant or something).
Old May 13, 2012, 2:39 PM   #8

I definitely scanned it on 600 dpi which is the highest I can scan I have a Epson stylus sx130 scanner printer

here are some snapshots I took of the scanner the picture I scanned is about 5 1/2in x 3 1/2 ins

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63789918/2012-05-13_203144.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63789918/2012-05-13_203229.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63789918/rescan.jpg
Old May 13, 2012, 2:53 PM   #9
Administrator

Note how much larger that "rescan.jpg" image is compared to the one you posted a link to when looking at the actual photo portion of the scan? ;-)

This one does look like a higher resolution scan (and when you click on it to make it larger in a browser when viewing it, the photo portion of the scan is much larger than the original one you linked to).

The one you posted a link to earlier is a much lower resolution scan, which is why I questioned your scanner settings. This one was not a 600dpi scan, unless the original was less than 1 inch long on it's longest side. My guess is that you must have resized it during the crop process without realizing it, or it reset to lower resolution scan settings when you selected that section. This is the link you posted with a much lower resolution scan (352x544 pixels, meaning an original image size of less than 1 inch on it's longest side at 600dpi):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63789918/olive.jpg

So, now that we have this higher resolution scan, perhaps some of our members will see what they can do with it:

Old May 13, 2012, 3:05 PM   #10

well that's most weird as I scanned the 1st image same dpi 600 as this 2nd one, that's why I posted you the scanner settings to prove I scanned at 600 dpi so that don't make sense to me

But I do hope someone here can fix that photo. I did try myself with adobe photoshop cs5. but it just looked like smudges all over it. when I tried to take scratches out.

whats a good art program to fix bad photos like this, as love to learn how to fix them

once again please accept my many thanks in advance if this photo can be fixed