Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:56 PM   #1

Default Can you improve the lighting?

I made this picture by assembling various bits via Photoshop. But after Kazuya mentioned that a different picture that I'd put together included components with the light coming from different directions, I looked at this one and saw that this one seems to have the same the same sort of problem. In this case the rock in rear left hand corner looks (I think) to be lit from the left when it should be lit from above, or from the right.

Does anybody feel like trying to improve the lighting? Or making any other improvements to the picture for that matter?
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:25 PM   #2

Well. Im certainly no pro, but all these PS applications have lighting effects options built in.

I use an ancient rendition of Adobe which is PE2. Using the available lighting effects under rendering I quickly produced the PIX shown. Im sure the latest and greatest PS/PE applications are improved by a quantum leap.
Attached Images

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:24 AM   #3

Hi Herb,

My impression is that the light is more from overhead right ... I've tried to remove most of the obvious cloning on the fence panels, lightened the shadows a little + slight reduction of highlights with the shadow/highlights filter, then applied a curves filter to boost contrast a little. ... Jack.
Attached Images

Last edited by jachol; Mar 23, 2013 at 5:29 AM. Reason: Typo
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 1:37 PM   #4

I like both the improvements - they make me want to dig up our back yard and turn the arrangement into real life.....

Sdromel - I was a bit surprised that you did it using PSE2 - that's the program that I have & it's made me realise that I haven't been using it to the full.

Jack - Hopefully I can also use PSE2 to achieve some (or all?) of the kind of result that you've effected - you've made it look quite real.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:07 PM   #5

Go to Filter, Render then Lighting Effects. Attached is a screen of your PIX in the lighting effects Filter application using PE2. There are many hooks, handles and sliders to choose from to control the effect as well as many lighting options and combos to choose from via the drop down menus. (For example, in the case shown, use the cursor to manipulate each and any of the little square hook points to move, rotate and/or resize the light control circle.)

You'll want to have fun experimenting just to see the effect.
Attached Images

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Jack - Hopefully I can also use PSE2 to achieve some (or all?) of the kind of result that you've effected - you've made it look quite real.
Herb,
Not sure what features are available in PSE 2, I made my changes in PSCS 5.

I did a little research re. Shadow highlights in PSE 2, and came up with this ...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/9850533 seems rather complex

This link may be helpful too ...

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...urves&bool=and

Hope this helps ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote