Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:08 PM   #1

Default can it be done?

hello

i bought a cheap XCSource Infrared filter from ebay and today i made this photo. not quite sure about the filter quality but i suppose it's trash..
what do you think? what can be done here?

D3v1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:39 PM   #2

Depending on what you want to get from the image, it could be a simple as converting it to grayscale and adjusting the highlights and midtones.
This would probably emphasize the pixelation in the sky, but a blur brush could take care of that.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:45 PM   #3

i want an IR image.. if it's possible
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1l View Post
i want an IR image.. if it's possible
Hi,
First of all I must say I haven't a clue about IR beyond having seen sample pics,
Just thought I'd have a go at this, I love a challenge, and freely admit I had no idea how to start, and what I have done is very experimental, and far from perfect IMO.

See what you think, is the attachment something like what you're wanting, to me it is possible, someone with greater skills may help more. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:28 AM   #5

thank you jachol
i was looking to get something more like this
http://netdna.webdesignerdepot.com/u...13/01/DK10.jpg

my biggest problem is if this filter will allow me something like this or is just rubbish
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:26 AM   #6

It really looks as if your filter is not so much 'infra' as just Red.
You could try it with your camera set to B&W to see what happens.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:29 AM   #7

Quote:
thank you jachol

my biggest problem is if this filter will allow me something like this or is just rubbish
I appreciate what you're saying, with hindsight I can see now that I misinterpreted parts of your original picture, my sample was dashed of pretty quickly, and I doubt I could produce anything like your example from your original.

Re. your filter I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable. .. J
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:14 PM   #8

VTphotog i guess if i want to do this more seriously i will have to go Hoya R720

jachol thank you for the try anyway
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:41 PM   #9
conor

I know that some cameras (especially some web-cameras) have an IR filter on the sensor or on the lens in an effort to remove IR from the captured image (much like a UV-0 filter).
If you remove this "filter" and replace it with a scrap of exposed film, you can effectively create a camera that can only capture IR (as a piece of exposed film will filter out all visible light.

So, two things.
1) Depending on your goal, there may be inexpensive ways of building yourself a little IR rig
2) Depending on the camera you're using, the IR might be filtered out already, regardless of what filter you add to the front of the lens.

Just a couple thoughts

Quote:
thank you jachol
I'm not sure how this image qualifies as "Infrared". Infrared light cannot be seen by the human eye, and thus doesn't have a colour (at least not one that the human eye can perceive). Most infrared cameras, like those seen in security systems, will output a grayscale image, representing the various intensities of those infrared waves. Your reference image has visible light in it, as demonstrated by the various colours. My assumption is that you could achieve a similar effect in Photoshop from a standard colour image.

Last edited by conor; Aug 21, 2015 at 2:45 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:04 PM   #10

Conor is correct about the IR blocking filter on most camera sensors. Most all consumer cameras have them now, for a couple reasons. The photographic reason is to prevent IR from interfering with the exposure metering. The other reason is that some people used to use the cameras without the blocking filters to take 'x-ray' type photos of people (mostly women) seeming to show their undergarments, or lack of same.
Most DSLRs allow some IR through the filters, but if you want to take true IR pictures, there is very little of that light that reaches the sensor, and you end up with long exposure times. (unless the camera is modified to remove the blocking filter)