Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:31 AM   #1

Here is a picture taken at night, 4 second exposure, hand held (left). At the right is the same image after adding a watercolor filter effect with Photo Shop Elements (Paint Shop Pro should have a similar filter). Anyone wanting more details just post here.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:43 AM   #2

I would like to know more. There have been many times I have needed to fix an out of focus photograph. Ultimately, I deleted the image.

I have PSE and PSP8.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:11 PM   #3

calr, This technique cannot restore focus, but as you can see, it can take a "throw away" image and make it into an art piece. Here is an example of a people picture, this one is not out of focus but is very soft. The right side image was created using the watercolor effect with the highest brush detail (I will post aqnother with lower detail directly after this post, I haven't checked how to post multiple images yet:?)

Ira
Attached Images

Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:14 PM   #4

This is at a level of 7, the halfway point for brush detail. As you can see there is less of a photographic look, but the image has more life. My Avatar started as a picture of my reflection in a mirror, at such short range my SLR focused on my hands, leaving my face out of focus but the watercolour effect fixed it.

Ira
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:57 AM   #5

The original of this image was out of focus, I really like old fences so I tried to save this one. I will post the original if you wish to see it.
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:00 AM   #6

Monza, Thank you for not only posting directions and practical applications, but actual examples! This is a fantastic trick to not only salvage photos but make them great!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 6:28 PM   #7

Words can't appropriately express well how this turned out...Printed on theappropriate stock, this could look very much like a real painting and fool many people.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:43 AM   #8

The 4" X 6" Walmart (Kodak system) print of this (trees and fence)looks awesome, I may make an 8" X 10" for the wall. Another advantage of this is that you can enlarge an image (through software interpolation) to a huge size and then apply this effect, the result is amazing.

Thanks for the encouragement, whenever I discover a new effect that has any general application I will post it here.

BTW check out http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ for lots of very useful tips on image processing.

Ira