Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:42 AM   #11

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
thanks choeschen, I gather you used layers to dothe sepia backgrounds. I will have to work on the photo a little more. They look quite nice like that. Cant make my mind up which is best, the color version or going for the toned down look:-)

Layers are my friend

To get the toned down look I duplicate the layer so I have two copies of the colered version. Then apply the sepia tone to the top layer, change the blending option to Soft Light, and adjust the opacity until you get the effect you are looking for.

Also I don't know if you noticed but I took monkey's advice and removed the twig.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:57 AM   #12

aladyforty, it is good to be critical of your own photos, that is how you improve, but, in this case the photo was excellent as it was. The sharpening doen by choeschen in the first example was all that was needed.

choeschen, nice effects in the other examples, selective colour with b&w or sepia makes for some great art shots.

Ira

No I won't try to make this a watercolour.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:19 AM   #13

choeschen, thanks for the info, I will give some of those things a try myself. Yes I did notice the removal of the branch and I believe that improves the photo.I now am unsure which is the best, a sepia style version or the original color:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:25 AM   #14

Monza, I would not mind seeing it as a water color:-)
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:01 AM   #15

Choeschen did a most excellent job and I must say, I do prefer that without the bothersome twig to distract us from the gorgeous photo and subject matter. All of these are nice. :-)You started with a great photo, so they'd have to be!
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:44 PM   #16

I also removed the branch, but found the watercolour effect took all of the detail out of the bird, so... I enlarged the image to double the original pixel dimensions then applied the watercolour and then shrunk it back to the original size.

Due to the fact that this particular bird is mostly just black and white, the effect is not as good.

Ira
Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:48 PM   #17

Here is another attempt with less brush detail on the background than on the bird. I also lightened it and got rid of the bird's "evil eye" (see my first attempt).

This picture is too good to apply this too, it works much better on lower contrast schenes with muted, almost pastel, colours.
Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:58 PM   #18

the last shot is good, reminds me of a greetings card:-)