Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Aug 30, 2004, 3:55 AM   #21

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
i like this one seth...it's got that watercolor sortof look ferny did..
That's becuase it's an edit of my edit. :lol: A nice one to.

Vito, I don't think the problem is too much green, but too much of the same tone of green. If you look at my second edit I've introduced different shades. Maybe it would have come out better with a UV filter to cut through the "haze"? I don't know how far you were from the trees in the background. Do you have a polarizer? That would bring out the colours to. And it could take off some of the glare on the water.

That noise you can see where I burnt the water and sky if because I had the density (how solidity of the tool. Low density equals noise, high density equals solid) of the tool at 42%. I didn't notice until after I'd finished and couldn't be bothered to go back and start again. You got the idea of what I was doing. :lol:

Wes, your images seem to have lost some quality. They're still good though. Did you compress them heavily or is that down to the rotation? I didn't realise how much rotation can impair an image until I did the alphabet last week. I think I'll put forward an image for people to show me how they do it.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 8:24 AM   #22

no, i don't have a polarizer...but my dad does have a UV filter...i'll see if i could rig it to my G2....or get a step-down/up filter...

i see wat you mean about the burn tool...i haven't played with that one much....i guess cuz when i have, i've used it wrong...and it looked fake and bad..lol

btw....i rotate the canvas in photoshop(Image,Rotate Canvas)...it doesn't seem to effect quality...just don't rotate in windows slide viewer...or watever it is...it'll say it needs to save another version...and that, at the least, compresses it more..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:48 AM   #23

I just found this link on the forum. I can't remember who posted it, I had it sitting in the background and only just noticed I had it open. You may like its examples.
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...polarizer.html
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:18 AM   #24

ferny wrote:
Quote:
photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
i like this one seth...it's got that watercolor sortof look ferny did..
That's becuase it's an edit of my edit. :lol: A nice one to.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I grabbed the original, but no doubt did similar operations on it.

Rotation can certainly affect things - the tool has to interpolate pixels when not doing a rotation by a multiple of 90 degrees, and throws away the original data. This obviously isn't going to help sharpness on edges!

sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:00 PM   #25

Hmm... Everything bar the sepia, rotation and crop looked identical to my watercolour edit. I'm talking about the texture of the trees, the blobby lily leaves, the big leaf in the foreground and grey sky from burning.

Still, if I was wrong, sorry.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 2:33 PM   #26

The biggest factor to that one or two being blurry is the size of the crop I took compared to the original.

my crop box was only about 2 inches wide on screen, and moderately rotated. It was the we hours of the morning by that point, so I could hardly be bothered to complete another. :? jpeg max 12, progression 5

Merely pointing out another shot within the shot.
wes nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 6:12 PM   #27

Nice angel kitty avatar, wes! You have a black cat called Angel and ferny posted a fluffy white dog and titled it Demon Dog. Something's backwards here!! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 8:00 PM   #28

This cat is a sweetheart. I've had some demon cats.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 6:25 AM   #29

I love cats! They are all sweethearts and all demons, depending on what side of supper time it is!!! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 7:07 AM   #30

This one follows me all day, and steals my chair if I stand up for half a second. Doesnt matter where she is in the room, or whats she's doing.