Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Aug 31, 2004, 5:17 PM   #1

Ok..Have a go with this one. Its got a distorted horizon and a rather bland washed out skyline. It would be nice to see it changed for the better.
Attached Images

Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2004, 6:18 PM   #2

Check your other thread, I already gave this one a try (quick and dirty version). Note that this represented only about 20 minutes using some features that were new to me. If you have already viewed this image click refresh on your browser for the final version.

Ira

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 3:59 AM   #3

That was cheating Monza76 by erasing a rectangular part of the waterline :-), however the target was reached and that's the important thing.

Here's my try at trying to fix lens distortion : I used Photoshop Filters Distort Sphere Effect with a negative value of -10.

This way the image is"shrinked" in a spheric way, thus compensating the curvedhorizon.

Good values to be used depend on camera lenses and on single shots as well :you have totry which is the one that best fits.

I thenrotated the image a little bit tohavethehorizon "horizontally" aligned.

In order to have the sky more deep I used a big soft burn brush on middletones with a 50% opacity.

I also used the dodge brush on the stones to gain some more details.

Here's my attempt
Attached Images

brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 4:22 AM   #4

Wow!! Thats great guys, I've never used sphere effect before and often wondered how you would use it. The only problem i can see with it is towards the edges of the horizon where you can see it bend slightly. Its still a great fix though and one l'll keep in mind.
*edit* I just tryed doing this and PS and the 'measure tool' tells me that the horizon is flat even though my eye says theres still a distortion. I think its time for a trip to the optician! lol
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:38 AM   #5

This is a beautiful photo to begin with and the subtle changes add drama. I like them all.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:38 AM   #6

Brtsergio, I originally erased a strip at the waterline because of the slight curvature at the ends that Mealers speaks of, however when I did that I got a very unnatural looking horizon so I went back. I created a new layer, cloned the sky down into the water area, used the rectangular selection tool to cover the water area, which I then erased, and used the eraser tool to clear the tops of the rocks. The result was a straight clear horizon which no longer had the unnatural look. I then increased the contrast on this sky layer and used gaussian blur to soften any effects of cloning on the lower sky. BTWafter using the curvature correction I rotated the image 0.5degrees (can't remember which direction) because it was not perfectly level at the horizon.

So the strip I originally erased has been completely covered by the later manipulation.

Mealers, I wear glasses and even afterstraightening it,the horizon still looks curved becauseI am usually looking through the top of my glasses, if I look at it through the bottom the curvature is the opposite direction. Long open horizon lines will always look a little curved since every lens (even the one in you eye) will slightly distort anything that is not dead centre.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:00 AM   #7

ok, a little color, probably not what you were thinking of:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:43 AM   #8

Julie, I love this color combination. Beautiful, fully-saturated colors with a touch of surrealism. :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:20 PM   #9

nice edit

how did you get those great colors, what tools do you use in photoshop
timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:38 PM   #10

I think she did it with something else other than Photoshop. Take a look at the link below. She's not half bad is she?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...49&forum_id=12

I went through pages and pages in the Other Photos forum looking for that thread. Then remembered that Julie posted it in the Photo-sharing Links forum, half way down page one.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote