Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:29 PM   #11

wow, iacopo, that work is unbelievable! i love it! great work with the shadows!

gj!

i was thinking...the light could be a little more "orangy"....more of a tungsten look

if that won't be hard to change...

if you did this how i think you did.....you're amazing, and have twice the patience i do..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:53 PM   #12

hi and thank you. Tom I will post the "tutorial" in my next post. As you will see the effort for this is less than you (and I at first) may expect

Vito, is this the right orangy color you suggested?
In this pict I also corrected an imperfection of the shadows on the handrail....
Attached Images

iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:13 PM   #13

...so here is my "How I Did It"... :-)

1) Add an omni light effect (use Filters->Render->Lightning Effects) centered on the lamp. Choose Omni light type set the light color and tune the parameters to get the halo as you like

2) To generate the shadow you have first to create a layer which will contain only the handrail. Actually this is the hard part but we can use a shortcut for it. We only need to have an approximation of the handrail (we will have to generate a distorted blurred shadow), so I selected with the Poligonal Lasso Tool a single unit of the repetitive pattern of the rail and duplicated as needed to get the whole rail on a layer.

3) Having the rail on the new layer you will have first to desaturate it (Image->Adjustment->desaturate), extend the dynamic range from white to black with the Levels Tool, and blur it (I used a Gaussian Blur of about 4 px)

4) Then you have to distort the shadow you created to simulate the projection on the wall. Just select the whole layer and play with Free Transform->Skew to get the result. It is not easy and could be done better than I did to get a more realistic effect.

5) Then set the layer opacity to about 40% to have shadows that are not too deep

6) Finally you have to remove the part of shadows that stay above elements that should not have the shadow on it (for instance the lamp and some part of the rail). Simply add a layer mask to the shadow layer (Reveal All) and draw with the brush tool (black color) to erase the shadows where you don't want them.

Ok sorry for the lonk post!
Iacopo
Old Sep 9, 2004, 6:55 PM   #14

Great job, iacopo, and thanx for the tutorial.

Yes, the second one is much better and correcting that "error" was great !

If I really have to make an observation, this is related to the slope of the shadow : I think theyshould keep on being vertical !

However, great job !
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 9:44 PM   #15

Hi there, Iacopo;

Thank you very much for the tutorial, and congratulations once again on the fine editing. The process certainly makes sense, seeing it in action. I hope you don't mind sharing your secrets. (isn't that one of the purposes of this whole forum concept?)

All the best,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:01 AM   #16

Thank you sergio for the hint about the slope of the shadow. I'd like to try to make it more realistic so I will need to put mor attention on it!

Tom, I really have no secrets :-) and I strongly belive in the free sharing of knowledge, here and in every other field.
So it has been a pleasure for me that you were interested.

Iacoo
Old Sep 10, 2004, 3:29 PM   #17

following iacopo's instructions here is my result

Attached Images

choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 4:10 PM   #18

choeschen, I like it because you gave to it that soft lightning effect! Probably the shadow is a bit too faint but it's just my opinion.

i was working myself on the shadows triyng to get mo realistic ones according to sergio's hint. that's what i got.
It seems really hard to make them as you want

Iacopo
Attached Images

Old May 31, 2005, 3:36 AM   #19

Great job guys
Attached Images

Maxima3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:17 AM   #20

Your work is amazing, could u direct me to the forum where you tutorial for this shadow effect is?

thanks

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote