Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:30 AM   #31

Here's my first attempt at 'repainting'. I just followed the steps in photosbyvito's post, but I had better luck with the magnetic lasso. Just did the hood to see how it turned out.
Attached Images

schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:47 PM   #32

Yeah. I found selecting the areas to be repainted to be the trickiest part of the job. Changing the colour was easy enough. I was trying for a colour like the car in creeduks picture though but it doesnt seem to be possible when changing from black. No matter what I did I always got a really dark red. Does anybody know why this is?
JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:06 PM   #33

One way is to use multiple paint layers using either overlay / color or one of the light layers, soft light usually. Also brak up the areas. I studied a couple of bmw's this model to see what is painted and what is not. Then made a layer for the bumper, one for the body one for the mirrors etc, also allows them to be turned off if they should be non matching.

The other method would be to lighten the exsisting paint prior to the recolor. Think about painting a dark room in your house, maybe a purple one or dark blue, first you have to lay a base coat down or the next color will not show properly. here as a quickish one I did today with a combination of those methods. (using levels and or curves to get the car lighter first)

Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:24 PM   #34

or with full color coded sill.

Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:20 PM   #35

Thanks Creeduk for taking the time to answer my query. That is exactly the result i was trying for. I really must spend more time playing with photoshop and less time surfingthe net. I hate dialup. It takes forever to open pages with photos in them. thanks again.
JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote