Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:51 PM   #1

Hi, I bought my wife this car for her birthday. She loves the car. Only problem is I know she would have loved a red one. Thats her favorite colour. I have tried to change the colour of the car in photoshop to see how it would look. I am a newbie to this though and i cant figure out how to change the colour of the car without changing the colour of everything else that is black too. I see a lot of really impressive stuff on this site so I know you guys can help me. Thanks.

Jak.
Attached Images

JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:15 PM   #2

In the tradition of a poem from the late Jackie Gleason...

"When I was a young man...courting the girls"

"I plied them with tears...in lieu of pearls."

Attached Images

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 5:49 PM   #3

LOL. Very nice, Digicamfan. It never occured to me to giftwrap it for her.
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:20 PM   #4

Here's a quick try.

photo_mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:50 PM   #5

Here's my attempt. Looks fake, hah.

photo_mage, that's an interesting blend. Makes me think of a convertable Subaru Baja.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:48 PM   #6

ok guys...nice work here, you definetely got the idea here

i've done this before, and will try it if i get a chance

the trick is, to only color the stuff that's supposed to be colored...

lol, simple enough right

the bumper should stay grey, the license plate, lights, grey thing the convertible top goes under should stay grey, and stuff like that

the reflections are the tricky part...i'm not sure exactly how it would be done, but they do need some color...but the red does need to shine through a bit...

see how the reflections have their normal color on the blue car? try masking the red layer to show some color reflection color through...

nice work guys

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:23 AM   #7

Hey guys, great work. I was trying for ages to do that. All my atttempts were terrible. They looked really fake. I just need to practice more I guess. How did you change the colours and still keep the reflecions and stuff? I just couldnt figure that out. Well done. Thanks a lot.

Jak.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:04 AM   #8

In Photoshop it's easy.

First, you select the areas of the car you want to change the color. Then you pick Hue and Saturation from the image menu. Click on the check box that says "Colorize", and then move the Hue, Saturation, and Lightness sliders until you get the color you want. The reflections and everything else take care of themselves.

The toughest part is selecting just the parts that should change color (Including the parts with the reflections).

Hope that helps. Have fun!
photo_mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:24 PM   #9

Thanks photo_mage. Choosing the parts to change the colour of is the part I am finding the hardest. I think i will take a better picture to mess around with. And thanks, I am having fun.

Jak.

Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:04 PM   #10

ok, here's the deal...or at least my way of doing this

i use the pen tool to select the car (tough to learn, but once you do well worth the work ) but you can just use the lasso tool, or something like that

ok, so you got the car selected...now, just create a new layer, and fill it in with red (wat color is a different story ), and change the layer mode from "Normal" to something like "Multiply" or "Overlay"...depending on which one works better...try them all..see which you like the best

then, go to Layer/Add Layer Mask/Reveal All, and paint it black the reflections...(make sure the mask is selected on the layer palette)

you may have to use a lower opacity brush to get the effect you want...cuz watever you paint black will show the original colors through...

oh yeah...with the mask...you have to paint in black the lights and other stuff that shouldn't be colored

hope this helps!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote