Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:14 AM   #1

This occasionaly happens to me, I get caught with my flash firing into someone's shoulder. Can someone explain how to fix this please.
Attached Images

rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:54 AM   #2

I outlined the soldiers uniform and lightened and changed the curve, re-contrast, touch up the edges with cloning. Go back to the photo as a whole and redo all adjustments, redid Santa's redeye and despeckled. Not great but a little better than before.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:21 PM   #3

I can get that far, but there is always a discoloration where the shadow was. I should have been more specific on what I was looking for.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:19 PM   #4

MMMM I really dont know what can be done from here, maybe someone with more skill may know.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:38 AM   #5

Hi Rob

Sometimes with a shadow this size it is better to embrase it a little. I mean don't try to remove the shadow 100% but lower it as much as possible. The attached image has several layers adding screen, each layer with a lower opacity and a mask to only concentrate on the unifoem area, this gives an nice even color across with a hint of the original shadow. This allows the viewer eye to see all but not be confussed by the areas of less detail (due to loss in the original) one of the final layers is masked to just deal with the border between shadow and light especially on santa. and last beut not least a layer merge on final layer with unsharp mask applied twice.

I could have gone further with some color correction on the other layers to really blend the colors but I think you get the idea.

Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:54 AM   #6

Thanks for the help... I'm the battalion photog and I was walking around taking pictures of other people. I didnt walk by here until it was too late for anything but a snapshot. If given time I would have used bounce flash, but he got up a few seconds later. That man is about equal to a district manager in my job, if anyone has ever worked retail. These things dont happen often.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:04 AM   #7

Bit of a rush job but couldnĀ“t resist....
Attached Images

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:04 AM   #8

I added a bit more detail, and I see so did freefly. I just continued with the image already fixed. If you have others of the same situation with different troops or even just santa and the tree to recover the missing area better that would be a great help.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:11 AM   #9

Her's my attempt - Elements 2 > Shipley's Extras > Expand Detail (10 itterations) > Lasso shadow area > Expand Detail (2 itterations). Then in PSP 8 > One Step Photo Fix:

Edit: Looked better in PSP.
Attached Images

derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote