Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jan 31, 2005, 6:49 AM   #1

Hi,

I've been fiddling with this on and off for ages. Had to build up the woman's face in the bottom half almost completely (collor covered most of it in original). Still looks a bit like apapercut out to me, in spite of using burn in (what a FAB tool that is...) Canna.
Attached Images

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:22 AM   #2

Can you post the original? would love to see what you had to work with.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:26 AM   #3

Hi Creeduk,

Don't have the original any more, or any in-betweens. I just had this one left which I'd done to email to a friend .

Thefriend (she in pic) says I only made up a tiny sliver of face, and she's probably right. I think I got muddled after fiddling around with the face so much. (I imagine building up faces is waaaaaay above my abilities!) It may be the painted in blue skywhich is rather overwhelming the face colouring? I've now had another go, making her face a tiny bit more yellow/green, and increasing the saturation... But it still annoys me that the hat has such good depth, while her face is flat! Apologies for the quality....Canna.

Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:52 PM   #4

I'm afraid that with my try she looks more like a man given a more square jaw line but here it is..

Jeff
Attached Images

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:23 AM   #5

Hi Jeff,

Thanks!

I think it's a big improvement, & I really like the film still quality of your effort - v. dramatic.

What did you do?

abw, Canna.

Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:45 AM   #6

Canna,

With Photoshop 5 (and probably others) you can render lighting effects. I aimed a single spotlight at the back of her head to give the photo some depth. That darkened the cheekbone a bit so I blended that down into the cheek to give her face some depth. Lastly, I cloned the texture of the hat into her collar. Then finally lastly, I played with the color balance a bit..

Changing the blue field around with the lighting made the biggest difference. A solid feild is a good technique if you plan to import a different background scene because it makes things easy to select. Which I tried. However, the airbrushing got a little too far into the hat and hairline to do an effective job of masking everything.

If you are pleased with the result, I have to say it was pure luck. I can't draw faces either, especially with a mouse on a computer.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:49 AM   #7

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for the recipe!

I must definitely experiment more with those lighting effects. I have used them very poorly so far, but have been impressed with what you & other people have done.

abw, Canna.