Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:24 PM   #1

this is the original

and my edit

Could some of you editing masters show me your take on this? Thanks a lot!
Graben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:15 AM   #2

Here's a stab with Virtual Photographer in Photoshop..

Jeff

:arrow::arrow::arrow::G
Attached Images

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:54 AM   #3

IMO it is oversharpened. The texture looked better in the leaves without it. I went the other way and applied a touch of Grain Surgery.
Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:45 PM   #4

I like your edit Graben. You managed to bring out the purple in the leaves which I assume is characteristic. What should the leaf texture be though if you are trying to be accurate to plant : waxy or velvety? It looks like there was some blurring from camera or subject shake on original; that makes sharpening tricky.
I just tried doing a few rough changes to your edited version so you can judge whether they're worth considering.
a) a bit of extra sharpening on centre of plant to draw attention (as with an eye);
b) tried a clone on the white section of background to see if was a distraction;
c) did a bit of blur on background.
Attached Images

normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:08 PM   #5

The plant is definately waxy. I can see how my edit was over sharpened. If I used a tripod for the shot would that have improved the sharpness of the original? Great work on everyone else's.
Graben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:02 AM   #6

Hi,

Love the plant - & the last version, Normjackson looks stunn ing.

I don't know whether other people have huge screens, by my enjoyment was much increased by being able to see the last one all of a piece.

abw, Canna

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:58 AM   #7

Grabben, if you look closely at very centre of plant, there does seem to be a bit of a double image. You're right, surely a tripod would have helped if the movement was camera shake (Jeff might recommend using a camera with image stabilisation :-)) and some sort of wind shield can be useful for close-ups of plants photographed outdoors. OT, I guess, but maybe someone can offer a really good link with tips on flower photography???

Canna, sure, shrinking an image often (though not always) makesit look better on screen doesn't it? Mind you, it was nice in this instance to have the bigger version available to try things on then shrink the image to hide those rough edges which might have been distracting :?
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:54 AM   #8

Here is my take on it, I nearly lost this, during a font change photoshop had a c++ error and as soon as I would hit OK I knoew I would loose my work, it let me open and zoom ut not save so I screen grabbed the 3 versions I had open and pasted into another app, restarted PS and although I have no history I got 90% back :?

Any way, the how and why: I played with a few things and then the look reminded of porcelain, so I played with a mosaic effect, then masked out the background then slowly masked out sections of the mosaic to make it less intense, this added that nice aged cracked look. Then once I had that I duplicated and screened the laer to get the color I desired. Then added a border, then the text (this is when it crashed..grrr) silly me did not save after the masking work which is random so annoying.

posted, then reposted with a slight white to allow you to see the black frame.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:53 PM   #9

Hi Normjackson - point taken , you're right - sorry Graben....

Back to painting the skirting board & things...(:-xto diy.)

abw, Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:25 PM   #10

Agreed normjackson, the big one to work makes life more interesting, saves working on the image loss befoe doing what ever fun things with that come to mind. Not sure, is this a real plant? The waxy feel paved the way to my edit so I didn't mind it..LOL :G
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote