Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:14 PM   #11

Hello Lanze.

First you select your car using whichever tool you feel comfortable with, the pen tool allows you to create a path and move around thecurves more precisely but that's a whole other lesson. For now I would suggest you just use the Polygonal Lasso tool which is precise enough for this purpose.

Once selected, click on Select/Feather and use a value of 2 pixels, so that the edges of your selection are not too sharp. Click OK.

Now press Ctrl + J to duplicate the selection which will create Layer 1 in the Layers palette.

Next, click on the 'Create a New Layer' icon at the bottom of the Layers palette, bottom right of your screen next to the trash can. This will appear as Layer 2.

Now hold the Ctrl key down and click on Layer 1, (the middle layer with just the car showing), this will bring up the selection around the car you made earlier and keeps Layer 2 active.

Click on the Eye Dropper tool and choose a colour, (yellow ?)from the Colour Swatch or click on the Foreground colour to bring up the Colour Picker and choose from there.

When you have decided on a colour, hold down the Alt key and press Backspace. Looks good doesn't it ? No ?............Just kidding, what you need to do now is to choose the blending mode for that Layer. In the Layers Palette change the blending mode of Layer 2 from Normal to Colour, then you will see the solid colour change to allow the details of the car show through.

Next, click on the 'Add Layer Mask' icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette, then press D on the keyboard followed by X. This makes the foreground colour black.

Zoom in close and select a suitable size paint brush, then brush over the areas that shouldn't have your chosen colour. You can move around the picture by holding the space bar to change to the hand tool, when you want to continue with the brush tool, just let go of the space bar. If you go over the edges of something by mistake, (easily done), press X on the keyboard and brush over it to replace the colour. Once you have finished 'masking' the areas you don't want to have colour you should be done.

If you would like to see what the car looks like in different colours, you don't have to do this each time.The next step will allow you to change the colour immediately.

Click on the Layer 2 thumbnail, not the Layer 2 Mask thumbnail, this is to make the car and it's new colour the active layer. Now click on Select and choose Reselect, your selection around the car should reappear. At the bottom of the Layers palette click on the 'create new fill or adjustment layer' icon, then click on Hue/Saturation. In the box just move the Hue and Saturationsliders to change the colour of your car. Click OK and you will then have a Hue/Saturation Layer in the palette. Save this work as a PSD file which will keep all Layers intact, so that when you open the image you can make colour adjustments again whenever you want. Flatten the image only when you have finished playing with it altogether or want to save it as a jpeg for printing or posting.

I hope I've explained this OK. Show us a picture when you are done and if you have any problems get back to me.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:37 PM   #12

Steve, ican't find the words to thank you; you are great!, thanks for your help and patience.

People like you are the inspiration for all the beginners like me.

I'll make my try this weekend to upload it on monday.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

Best regards,

Lanze

Lanze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:40 PM   #13

You're welcome Lanze. Just trying to help, as I have been helped by others for many things since I joined.

Look forward to your 'new car'.

Steve.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 2:11 AM   #14

I liked Steve's shade better, so thought I would make another attempt. Also made the wheels match this time.

Since I use Photoimpact, Steve's explanation will make sense to you, and mine wouldn't, for the first attempt. If PSCS has similar tools, though, this second attempt was simply using paintbrush with mode set to 'colorize'. Just like usingyour Crayolas with a coloring book. Set brush size and remember to stay withing the lines.:lol:

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 5:21 AM   #15

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
If PSCS has similar tools, though, this second attempt was simply using paintbrush with mode set to 'colorize'.
Yes Brian, CS also has a more simplified method to do this. And I really don't know why I didn't suggest it to Lanze the first time, just never thought and I am just getting into Layer masks for all sorts, so my direction was aimed uncontrollably that way :?.

Lanze, you can also pretty much do it the same wayas VTphotog did in his second edit.

Grab a paintbrush and set the mode to 'Color'. Err, that's it !!

Of course, without a selection in place you have to be a little more careful with the painting, but once again, set the default foreground and background colours by pressing D on the keyboard, then choose your colour, select a brush size and in the Mode box, (top of screen next to Brush), select 'Color'.

Paint away and if you go over, press X on the keyboard and paint the overspill away, press X again to continue painting with colour.

The reason for the Layer mask in the first explanation was because that method colorized everything in the selection and we could then 'mask' any areas we didn't want colorized.This second way, you are painting directly on the parts of the image you want to change.

Unfortunately, without a selection in place you can not instantly change the colour by using Hue/Saturation. Well you could, but you would be changing the whole image. So to do this you will need to select the car and use Hue/Saturation or, you could just brush with another colour. (Bit longer this way).

Stevekin.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 3:40 PM   #16
Administrator

Lanze wrote:
Quote:
I'm planning to paint my car (Yellow), i would really like to see what i look like, can anybody help?

Thanks!

Here you go ... sorry but all I had was black and white film in the camera :blah:

Attached Images

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:44 AM   #17

Steve;

Stevekin is going to think you are making fun of his colorblindness, but being a good-hearted soul will likely forgive you, provided he gets the proper cash incentive.:evil:

Just funning, of course.:blah:

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 4:42 AM   #18

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Stevekin is going to think you are making fun of his colorblindness,
Actually Brian, that thought never entered my mind, but now you have mentioned it...............

And as for being a 'good hearted soul'.................:evil:

Stevekin :G
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:36 AM   #19

Ha ha ha, you guys are really funny!

Here is my attempt.... Yellow with black hood.

I know it's not perfect, but to be my first try, i think it's pretty good (thanks to Steve)

Attached Images

Lanze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:43 AM   #20

Nice spray job. I'm glad you could follow my instructions OK .

Now you just have to decide if it's going to be yellow or another colour :?.

Stevekin.