Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:56 AM   #1

Hello experts.

I'm not sure if this can be fixed or not. Being out of focus I have my doubts. I would appreciate all efforts in trying to correct this photo.

Straight from camera only resized.

Thanking you in advance.
Brenno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:52 PM   #2

No expert here, but here's an attempt at a soft grainy effect.
Attached Images

normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:22 AM   #3

Thanks so much for your attempt. You bought out a good lot of detail from a severely out of focus shot. Good work.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:37 AM   #4

Can't you just retake the photo?? Here's my try..

Jeff
Attached Images

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:36 AM   #5

Here is my go using Focus Magic, http://www.focusmagic.com/.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:34 AM   #6

Jeff- That would be the best way (retaking the shot). Unfortunately, every time i get the camera out she turns shy, shelooks away or hides, so stealth is about the only way to photograph her (she's 2 by the way). Only had the camera for a couple of months and am still learning it,so this is about the best shot i've got with her looking at me - SO FAR!!!! Trust me, I wont give up trying to get that ONE great shot of her. I only have her every second weekend (separation is &%@$#^ when you have kids) so photo op's are limited a little. Also, my PP skills are very basic so I am trying to pick that up as I go.

Thanks for giving it a try. Good job

Stevekin - Thanks for the link and your attempt. I'll have a look at the program. From your attempt it looks as if its a great out of focus fixer.Brilliant stuff!

Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:36 AM   #7

You're welcome, but as you can see, you will never get a great result. They can look better but not great.

Another attempt with a different program called FocusFixer from Fixer Labs, http://www.fixerlabs.com/pages/fixer.html

A side by side comparison. This type of program can take a bit of getting used to, (my excuse :-)).

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:13 AM   #8

Here is my attempt using Picturecooler, a free download from http://denoiser.shorturl.com He has recently added the deconvolution section, and it is still in beta testing, but seems to work fairly well.

After the refocus, I edited in Photoimpact, selected and softened the background and added some grain to help hide some of the sharpening artifacts and add texture to the highlights.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:35 AM   #9

Stevekin - Another great effort (and program). The side by side really shows the difference. I really didn't expect a great shot. I knew that starting with a bad photo (not subject) its always hard to correct, I just wanted to see how good the results would be from other people. As stated i'm still a noob with PP so its interesting to see how good you more experienced people can get a bad looking pic to come out after working on it. Thanks again.

VTphotog - Yet another program to add to my computer!! Thanks for your attempt. You've done well.

Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:25 AM   #10

What really got me interested in this photo was the resemblance to my own daughter. This is what she looked like some years back. (If I told you how many, I'd be in trouble)

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote