Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old May 4, 2005, 4:42 AM   #1

I'm a 36-year-old woman who is permanently disabled with Narcolepsy :sleepfrom being hit by a car traveling at 40MPH when I was 16) and I surviveon Social Security as my sole source of income (and I have a house payment to boot!).Therefore I just can't afford to purchase a program to fix digital photos. So, I was hoping you could help me out just this once with a picture my Mother took of me when I was in Maui last month. I'm not sure if the problem was due to movement or just a focus issue. Needless to say given my circumstances, I don't get to travel or do much of anything that is truly fun anymore since becoming disabled and poor! So,I really had hoped this photo of me in Maui would turn out and I could give it to my close friends. I'm new to this program, and haveincluded thephoto that is out of focus below. Needless to say I can't simply have the photo retaken, though I wish I could be back in Maui right now, actually I could stay there forever. I miss the sand between my toes and I'm in Oregon so of course it's raining here! Thank you in advance for any help you may offer! My Dad just gave me his ancient Sony Digital Mavica MVC-FD81 camera and I'm trying to figure out how to use it. Again, I sincerely appreciate any help you can offer as this photo means a lot to me and I was heart broken when it turned out blury. I tried some of the programs you suggested, but I just don't know enough to do any good. I'm new at all of this! Bless you! :love:
Attached Images

kinipeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 8:20 AM   #2

Here's the best I could come up with. I tried to get it a little better. I believe it was probably an issue of camera movement since the whole shot seems to be out of focus.
Attached Images

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:14 AM   #3

Thanks for trying! Darn it, why is it that the one picture I wanted to turn out doesn't? ARGH!:-?Actually I did try fooling around with thefree version of Focus Magic and I think my masterpiece might be a little better, but not very much. I still look blury andeverything isvery out of focus.I'm not really sure how to work Focus Magic so I just kind of guessed.I'm just not sure if my Mom moved the camera or if she herself moved, or perhapsfor some reason the camera was out of focus. However, Idoubt the latter choicebecausemy camera automatically focuses on it's own and I don't think I've ever had a picture come out blury or out of focus.So, I tend to believe the problem is related to movement, especially since it was probably my Mom's first time taking a picture with a digital camera and she was a little nervous. I had given up on the picture but out of curiosity I searched the net and found this rockin' site!

Maybe there are some "focus wizards" on this site who can work magic on my picture!I wouldn't be surprised as I've seen some pretty fantastic work on this site! I'm a complete dork when it comes to altering images andworking with camera's and pretty much all electronic equipment! I would so completely and honestly appreciate anyone who can try to do better. I'm not a person who takes things forgranted or says things she doesn't mean, sotrust me it would mean so much to me if someone can work their magic!Sorry for rambling, but it's one of the things I AM good at!PLEASE don't give up on me! :love:
Old May 4, 2005, 11:46 AM   #4

Is that the original? there would at least be a sliht improvement if you have a higher resolution image. all there is here is a 72 pixels / inch, with the level of blur this is not enough to gain any details back. There will never be a great result with this kind of image but it could be improved up on.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 12:12 PM   #5

Yes, the picture I posted is the original from my Sony Mavica MVC-FD81 camera. I don't know anything about pixels or the like, so I don't know what you are talking about. Sorry, I'm not technically inclined in the least! Thus the reason I don't know what to do to improve the picture, and this site was a starting point, and I'm impressed with the changes I've seen others do. Can you help me or is it a lost cause? I would love any improvment at all!

Bless you for caring to try and help me, I sincerely appreciate your kindness and patience for my lack of knowledge!

kinipeli (Jennifer in the Hawaiian language, if you can't tell I love Maui!) :love:
Old May 4, 2005, 2:30 PM   #6

kinipeli, I'm afraid I have to agree with Creeduk on this one.

I have PM'd you with my response and an idea.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 8:22 PM   #7

Kinipeli;

the picture is a little small. There is not much detail to work with, but here is the best that I am able to do with it.

Good Luck,

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 3:27 AM   #8

I think the solution lies in a different direction. Have someone photograph you in the same posewearing the same outfit, and post that photo here. Someone can then copy and paste the in focus "you" into the Maui photograph.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 3:47 AM   #9

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
I think the solution lies in a different direction. Have someone photograph you in the same posewearing the same outfit, and post that photo here. Someone can then copy and paste the in focus "you" into the Maui photograph.
This is without doubt the only way to go Lucky. Part of my PM to Jennifer was just this very idea.

The original pic, even without the blur, wouldonly have resulted in aslightly better edit, due to the distance from the camera combined with only a0.79 megapixel ccd.

Just waiting to hear from you Jennifer, there are plenty of members that will be able to do something for you.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 9:54 AM   #10

LOL I was gonna post last night steve and say looks like we have had the same idea now I see it is growing, I also pm'd the same idea, maybe one of should do it or maybe we have the images posted here in the thread and see what we can come up with between us. I checked and that is the original picture but if we get enough images with detail we can recreate this situation.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote