Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old May 18, 2005, 9:05 AM   #1

I love this shot that was taken years ago in our backyard. My son and his friends were raking the leaves and then jumping into the piles. My problem that I need help with is that for some reason, I can't post it without making it physically small. If anyone can tell me what the problem is, and how to fix it, I would realy appreaciate it.
Thanks,

Rose
Attached Images

mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 11:01 AM   #2

Quote:
important to keep the file size toless than 250Kb and all digital camera pictures should be downsizedto around 640x480 pixels before uploading them. Even a 2-megapixelcamera creates a 1600x1200 pixel image and that is way too big to beproperly displayed here
This info was posted by steve so I imagine your image has ecceeded the size limit hence your post issues. If you have access to an off site server you could post there. Also there are free upload servers available online that will house a link for a period of 7 days so maybe some one else could host the image for you so it can be worked on.
If you have a yahoo ID you could always use the free geocities site I have done this in the past, then creat a simple web page using the tools provided and add the image there.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 3:54 PM   #3

Your picture has been saved using .PNG format. This produces large files relative to the size of the picture.

So far as I know, no digicams use this format, so I guess you must have saved it using a graphics editor or scanner software of some kind. If you resave it in .JPG format using a moderate amount of compression you should be able to reduce the file size by at least a factor of 5 - around 40Kb, instead of more than 200Kb. Reload the pic into your graphics program and select "Save As". Normally there will be some kind of Options button on the Save As dialog - select JPG or JPEG as the format. For JPGs there will be a "quality" or "compression" setting - try around quality level 85 (some editors express the quality differently and might use "15" instead of "85" - experiment with different settings if you're unsure).

If you saved the pic direct from your scanner and can't reload it, you might need a free graphics editor like IrfanView in order to save it in a different format from the original.
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 5:30 PM   #4

WOW!!! Creeduck and Fenlander, I can't thank you enough!! You're right about the png, I had no idea what it was doing to my photos. I have posted other photos before and they were large (murney tower in digital section). I downloaded this one from a scanner so I can easily do it again. I'll play around with it tomorrow and see what happens. You both gave me alot of information to learn but I'll give it a go. Thanks so much again!!
Old May 26, 2005, 1:29 PM   #5

Just to update................I re-scanned the photo with a different programm and just croped it, rather than re-size it. It worked great so I posted it in "Members and Family" shots, still entitled "Boys and Leaves".
Thanks again for the help!
Rose