Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:22 PM   #1

Hi all,

This is my first post on these forums, I really like reading them, they're one of my favourite DC forums.

There was this nice rainbow the other day so I took some pictures. I couldn't get many good pictures with my best being this one.

Can someone improve the picture (i.e saturation of rainbow) however they like.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Attached Images

Sammy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:20 PM   #2

Hello Sammy.

I thought maybe desaturate the whole image apart from the rainbow itself to emphasise it.

What do you think ?

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:39 PM   #3

Or maybe like this ??

Old Jun 4, 2005, 1:16 AM   #4

My attempt:

Used autolevel, increased saturation to +40, copied and pasted new layer as overlay with transparency 65. Resized.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 6:15 AM   #5

Wow,

Thanks all for replying,

I like all your edits in different ways:

Stevekin, on your first one I like the grayscale everywhere around the photo, and on your second one I love the way the colours and the blue of the rainbow are much brighter.

Would there be any chance you could desaturatelike on the 1st one with the coloursof thesecond rainbow? That would be really great.

Is there a trick to selecting something freehand? On my laptops touchpad, I can't begin to select something accurately.

VTphotog, I like yours as well as the blue sky makes looks nice.

Thanks very much for your edits, I really appreciate it. I wish I had your photoshop/editing skills!
Sammy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 8:12 AM   #6

Glad you like them all Sammy.

I have to confess that with being colour blind, It would take me an age to get the correct blue hue, so I cheated and sampled from a rainbow pic on Google Images :-). Added that to the second pic, and have now added it to the first desaturated image.

Regarding the selection process. You really ought to consider buying a mouse to use with your laptop. I would recommend a cordless optical mouse. Less problems with tangled/trapped wires and no build up of muck on the mouse ball and rollers, enables a smoother and more precise selection. I could also suggest a tablet and pen, but these take a heck of a lot of getting used to and cost quite a bit more for a decent one, so I would get a mouse.

For the time being, you could try using the Polygonal Lasso Tool, it's with the Lasso and Magnetic Lasso tool. You click once at the start of your selection, let go and move to the next point, click again and move to the next and so on and so on.It creates a straight line but you can click at the corners, nearly get round curves ok etc. Just trial and error and lots of practice. Then there is the pen tool with many uses and many guises, a whole new ball game.

A big thing to remember is that the zoom is your friend when you are selecting something. Zoom in real close, don't worry about not seeing where you are going because you have just zoomed the rest of the image off the page. Just start your selection and when you need to, hold down the scroll bar and the selection tool will change to the hand tool. Drag some of the image back in to view, then take the cursor back to where you left off and then let go of the space bar, the selection tool is back.

And of course the Magnetic Lasso Tool. Does what it says on the tin. It hugs, well cuddles gently, the contours of contrasting edges. Depending on the settings used for any given image will determine it's accuracy. With any of these tools/methods you can still erase unwanted portions to tidy the selection up a bit.

You do have Photoshop don't you ?? I've just realized that everything I've just said could be plain old inconsequential gobbledegook :?.

If you have, great. If not, ignore me. Don't worry, I usually go away if I am ignored:-).

Anyway, here it is