Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:01 AM   #1

Took this photo in Connetquot state park this spring, unfortunately there was some haze and cloudiness and the photo looks quite flat. Could anyone try to give the sky more blue and make this photo look sharper and more colorful?

I can't seem to improve it much with the photo editing programs I have, which are quite a few; Arcsoft Photstudio, Adobe Photodeluxe, MGI Photosuite, MS Picture-IT, and Photo Impression. These are mostly free programs that came with my PC, scanner, and cameras.

Attached Images

pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:43 AM   #2

Sorry, haven't used any of the programs you have. This was done in Photoshop. But I'm sure you should be able to correct this ok with one of yours.

Levels adjustment to all, saturated the sky and sharpened the foreground. May have gone to town on the sharpening, but it is subjective and was a little flat.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:52 AM   #3

I used Paint Shop Pro 9

1. 1 step photo fix

2. Histogram adjust and denoise

3. Color balance to 5000

4. did an emboss overlay

5. contrast adjust

and got this. Still could use a little more work though. Maybe replace the sky with one just a littlemore interesting. Maybe a little less sharp too.

cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:24 AM   #4

When I saw this I thought "let me try that new image>Adjustments>exposure.. command in CS2. It is really designed for HDR images but can be used on any 8 or 16 bit image and I liked the result. In addition I removed some small red artifacts from the sky.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:38 AM   #5

And here it is with some smart sharpen / you can get close with unsharp mask to this result on this type of image.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:57 AM   #6

I have used a couple of those programs myself, but now mostly use Photoimpact. For this, however, I used Irfanview, with Filters Unlimited plugin and Virtual Photographer plugin. The big advantage to these, is they are all free for the downloading. This was just a quick adjust to give an idea of what can be done.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:30 PM   #7

That one seems to be my favorite. I don't think any of my programs have any of those advanced features. Should I get Adobe Photoshop? Is it worth the extra cost?

Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:19 PM   #8

Depends which one is actually your favourite.

If you are talking about the last one, Brians, he used Irfanview for this edit, which is free. http://www.irfanview.com/ Download the Plugins/AddOns as well. It is a very capable program. Along with Filters unlimited plugin,the link to download can be found here, http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=59 and Virtual Photographer, http://www.optikvervelabs.com/all free !!

Regarding Photoshop. Those that use it will say a definite yes to acquiring it, those that don't, are able to manage perfectly well with other editing software. Only you can decide how much you can/want to spend.

Anyway, hopefully not all your pics will come out like this one .
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:46 PM   #9

Actually I was talking about the next to last one, the last one seems abit grainy for me.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:18 PM   #10

Oh, OK.

Yeah, that can happen when messing with a low resolution file, the sky in my edit was the same till I ran it through Noise Ninja.

Theone you likewas done with PhotoshopCS2. With the exception of the Exposure control, this could be done with any of the Photoshops, including Elements.

You may want to consider PSE3 as a first foray into Photoshop. A trial download could also be a good idea, for PSE3 or CS2. So long as you are on broadband.

Chalk another one up to creeduk !!