Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:15 PM   #1

I'd like to take this picture and desarutate everything except the center fern frond that is unfurling. I'd like to leave that its natural color. I know how to convert the entire image to black and white, but not just that one complicated portion.

Here is a link to the full-size jpeg (1 meg big file)if anyone would like to take a stab at it themselves or if you could post Photoshop CS2 instructions, that'd be great, too. I also have the file as Canon RAW and tif, if someone would like to play with those.

Thanks!!!

http://www.columbusinteractive.com/fern.jpg
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:07 PM   #2

Not being a PS user, I can't say specifically how you could do it, but in general, what I would do is to select the part you want to keep, copy it, desaturate entire pic, then paste back the selection. Another way, using Photoimpact, would be to just use the saturation brush set to desaturate, and have at it. This would have the advantage of being able to feather in around the edges. Not up to d/l of large files, so no example.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:41 PM   #3

Dashing out right now but either a vector mask or a raster mask of the fern will show the under (untouched layer) through a second desaturated layer. Just a long pocess of selectiopn and painting the mask but that's all there is to it.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:47 PM   #4

OK I was at a loose end today so I kept going back to this one and playing with the mask. I also used clone brush to change the overlap of some of the other leaves to make them go behind the fern which made the effect look better. With so much green it is tricky and hard on the eyes, if the camera was on a tripod and left it would be great to shoot as is then move some of the other vegetation to one side and maybe shield it with a something to make this easier to do. any way here is what it should look like
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:28 PM   #5

Amazing piece of work Creeduk....

Caroline.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:43 PM   #6

Thanks very much. I tried it using a vector mask and it sorta worked, but it's not as nicely edged as yours. I need practice more in PS.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote