Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:23 PM   #1

Do you think this picture would look good with a pirate ship in the background? I do but yet have no idea on how to go about it.
Attached Images

mailwmr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:16 PM   #2

Aye mate, but don't ask me how!!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:58 AM   #3

Yeah, it could look good.

Now 'take on board', there is a lot of selecting/maskingneeded to do this, a time consuming task. So this quickeffort is just to (hopefully) show you what you thought it might look like. Basically you need to select the foreground, that's the boat and the two guys, then copy and paste them to a new layer. Now find your pirate ship and sea, and paste that into the background. Depending on the source for the pirate ship, resize (using transform), to fit. Flipped the guy on the boat so he was looking at the pirate ship and changed the water in the foreground to match the new sea. That's all there is to it :roll:.

No, really the selection part is the hardest and longest process, that's why the canopy supports don't look great, I haven't the time nor inclination to get it perfect as it's not my image. Hope you understand that. You will want to take greater care as you will likely want to print the end result.

If you are going to have a go on your original, let me know and I'll go through the steps a little more clearly.

By the way, neither of you look too concerned at a pirate ship looming !!

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:56 AM   #4

I'm impressed Stevekins!

It all looks prettygood for a quick effort (their unconcern must be 'cos they're pirates too... I mean, look at that hat .)

Well done...

Caroline.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:23 AM   #5

I knew Steve could do it! Did I mention I love pirates?? I'm with Caroline aobut the hat though.:lol:

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:36 AM   #6

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
It all looks prettygood for a quick effort (their unconcern must be 'cos they're pirates too... I mean, look at that hat .)

Thanks Caroline & Rose. The hat didn't register with me at the time :?. They do look like they spend a lot of time on the open seas drinking, err, rum from small bottles

Another quick edit, this time just the sea. Replaced what appears to be muddy river water in the jungle withyer actual common or garden sea.

This can be donein a number of ways, by Hue/Saturation, or using Match color in PS which keeps the texture and look of the original selection, it just matches the colour with that of your choosing, or again, in this case, I have completely replaced the water with a sea.

Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:35 PM   #7

I only wish I could do such things!! I guess with alot of practice and playing around with photoshop cs I could learn to do this.

You did a great job Steve you do fantastic work!!
mailwmr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:54 PM   #8

Thanks mailwmr5, glad you liked them.

Yes, a lot of practice, reading tutorials, asking for help, a lot of practice, oh, and a lot of practice.

I found the best way to learn was just that. Practice. Even though it may seem like it when first using Photoshop and many other editing programs, rocket science it aint. I've only scratched the surface of this fantastic software and I am learning all the time. The hard part is trying to remember it all :?.

A good way is to follow tutorials, as well as the end result, you become more familiar with the tools and methods.

Whichever software you use, dive in, you will enjoy it.

Steve.