Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:18 PM   #1

Changed muddy water to blue water thanks to everyone who helped. Im learning so much about this stuff my mind is overloading!!
Attached Images

mailwmr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:22 PM   #2

Here is the fixed one Steve. Does the water look too blue?
Attached Images

mailwmr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:17 PM   #3

The only problem here is that if the first picture show the actual color of the water, the second picture is a lie. My personal preference would be to retain the original color. Chances are that you will never see blue water in that location, especially if the pool is fed by a mountain stream.

My two-cents worth which isn't worth very much!

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:41 AM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
My two-cents worth which isn't worth very much!

.......About two cents eh Cal :blah:.

I do understand your view on this though Cal, I know your feelings on post processing. Less is more. But I think this is more an exercise in photo manipulation, learning editing skills, rather than to convince anyone of something that wasn't there. You may have seen mailwmr5's post about thinking an addedpirate ship might look fun in a photo, I think it's just a follow on from that. Oops, going on a bit there :-).

mailwmr5, you've done a pretty good job on this one. But I must agree, thewater looks a little too dark. As for colour, well, I happen to be colour blind so it's no good asking me about that :?. I usetwo little programs, one iscalled WhatColor and the other is called my wife,to tell me what is what with colours.

I see you use Photoshop CS. How did you change the colour ?

I used Replace Color to select all of the colour to replace, then using the Color Picker, chose a new colour and twiddled with the sliders a wee bit.

One other thing. The crop. If it was your intention to remove the young girl from the far right, this is easily done without having to cut off the elbow from the girl in the foreground. Cropping can be subjective, some may like the closer crop you have done, I would like to have seen it as it was. To me, it shows where the children are heading, to the shore, more clearly.

Now to get rid of the girl. The easiest (and quickest) way in this photo is to grab the Rectangular Marquee Tool, (no cloning needed), draw a tight selection around the girl, release the mouse button. Now go up to Select, Feather and enter a value of around 5, click ok.This will soften the edges enough to help it blend in.Click and hold anywhere inside the selection, then drag the selection to the left of the girl, as close as possible without the girl being in it. Now press and hold Ctrl + Alt on the keyboard, click and hold inside the selection and drag it over the girl. Make sure to line it up correctly. When it looks lined up ok, press Ctrl + D to deselect. Done !!

Once you have done this a couple of times it will be quicker than me telling you how to do it :-). Here's another with a paler blue and the girls elbow intact.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:33 AM   #5

I agree with calr on this one, maybe if you see the other post on water I added a couple of options you could try one is to just use a minor adjustment to the levels ofthe water to reduce the muddy effect but maintain authentic look.

The color on the last editis only normally seen in a swimming pool,

Steve what you could try to do but will add complexity is whenusing a light color like that, add the lake/river bottom, if water was this clear then you would be able to see the sandy/mud bottom, this could pull the image back a little. You would probably want to add a little color blur behind the children to give the illusion that the water is really clear, the fact they are in motion helps with this.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:32 AM   #6

I did see your edits creeduk and commendable they are, as usual. But I did point out to Cal that I feel at the moment, this is really about mailwmr5 getting used to editing, just making changes, rather than total authenticity. Making edits for fun, let's face it, we're not likely to see a pirate ship, a small pleasure cruiser, a guy in bermuda shorts and a bottle of Bud (?), in the same shot now are we ? I also pointed out my very poor colour perception, so generally what looks good to me is usually the wrong colour or shade. I thought it was blue sand at the bottom anyway.Besides, I prefer to swim in a swimming pool than the sea :blah:.

I must admit, that although it looks inviting, it doesn't look real.

In the interest of authenticity in this instance, I have followed your advice and used levels adjustments, relying on WhatColor to tell me it is the same or similar to your other water edit.

My mother has given me many things over the years, and I am eternally grateful. But colour blindness is one I could have done without :roll:.

Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:38 AM   #7

I hope I did not cause offense as that was not intended, I don;t often critique unless asked. As you know if you can keep the edits as subtle as possible you can make the picture feel real. Of course that is not always the desire and I understood your response to calr, this is OK in the case of the pirate ship :-)but here you have a chance to go for a result that feels believable :-).

As for no pirates! What about the Goonies, they found a pirate ship.... oh wait, back in the land of make believe.

You are right about fun though, have fun with it PS is a blast.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:01 AM   #8

creeduk wrote:
Quote:
I hope I did not cause offense as that was not intended,
No not at all creeduk 8), I was just trying to explain why my edits were not particularly authentic.

Your last point I have to agree with 100%. I love taking photographs, but perhaps not as much as I love playing with them in PS. Yes, usually to correct things for print, but to go to the extreme occasionally (a lot actually) is fun.

Would be interestedin your opinion of the last one though.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:11 AM   #9

Sorry that was my original reason for repling and I forgot to mention it DOH!!

I like the last one a lot better, you get the desire of blue yet not blown out or swimming pool :-)blue. It is dark enough to still show the water is not clear so I think it works, nice edit.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:16 AM   #10

:-D