Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jun 29, 2005, 5:39 AM   #1

Darn, I had an entire post composed and didn't realize my attachment was too big. Therefore, I lost the whole post.

Anyway, this was taken quite some time ago when I had literally no knowledge of how to compensate for nighttime. It is still really difficult, but I only used shutter and aperture control here.

This really was nighttime, but the clouds were reflecting and refracting lots of city light, and the delayed-shutter has absorbed a ton of light.

Can anyone make this look like night, whilst still maintaining the quality of the towers? The lights, the features, etc.

Thanks.

Attached Images

DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:33 AM   #2

I used PSP-9.
  1. Selected the sky, copy/paste as new layer [/*]
  2. Used Ulead particle filter - clouds. Darkened them. [/*]
  3. Histogram adjust [/*]
  4. Cloned in the burned out lights. [/*]
  5. Merged all layers [/*]
  6. Smudged around the lights [/*]
Hope this helps head you in the direction you want.
Good luck
Attached Images

cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:12 AM   #3

I tried a similar technique, but the problems I encountered are exactly the same that are manifested in your version. Namely: 1. The lights look artificial and crayoned on, and 2. The background and foreground don't mesh well. Particularly by the bushes, it looks like a bad overlay.

Maybe if I keep trying I can produce what I want. I know there are limitations based on what the raw materials are.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:31 AM   #4

Here is my try. Not much different than the previous one. I selected the sky with zero feather and reduced the brightness by 20 points. I didn't do anything with the lights. The lights on the left side of the left tower bother me. Also the lights on the right tower. These look like the lights were either added in PS or they are strings of Christmas lights loosely strung around the roof.

There is a little halo around the top of the bushes but I think it is ok. That diagonal line of light reflecting from the edge of the building on the right is a little annoying but I didn't try to do anything with it.

My changes were made with PSP 7 (at work). I have PSP9 at home.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:33 PM   #5

calr wrote:
Quote:
These look like the lights were either added in PS or they are strings of Christmas lights loosely strung around the roof.

There is a little halo around the top of the bushes but I think it is ok. That diagonal line of light reflecting from the edge of the building on the right is a little annoying but I didn't try to do anything with it.
Nope, those lights appear exactly as they are on the buildings. Perhaps it is because some of them were not functioning or something.

The diagonal light on the right is from pole-lights on the ground a bit in the distance.

Anyone recognize these towers from anywhere?

Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:16 PM   #6

Those towers look somewhat like the ones in "Men in Black II" that disguised two large spaceships. I don't know what or where they really are.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:03 PM   #7

Correct- in both MIB movies.

They are actually old unused buildings in Flushing Meadows Park. They were built for the Worlds Fair, I think in the late '60s. It is within a mile of where I live.

In the first MIB movie, J says to K, "so that whole Worlds Fair was just a cover up?" to which K responds "Yes. Why else would we hold it in Queens?"

I think there used to bea restaurant cafe up there, but I am not sure. I don't really know what they were used for.

If you look in the night weekly challenge, I posted a pic of the Unisphere, also in Flushing Meadows Park.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:21 AM   #8

Daniel, you of all people should know those Men in Black can do pretty much anything .

I asked them to change the sky for you and replace the broken light bulbs.

If you don't like it, blame agents J & K :-).

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:20 AM   #9

Not too shabby, thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:03 PM   #10

Nothing special, but here's my try.
Attached Images

DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote