Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:43 PM   #1

Hi, I would like to make the eye bright red. Any explaination as to how it was done would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images

cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:29 PM   #2

Not sure how much of the eye you mean, so just did the iris. You can do the white of the eye as wellusing the same method.

Copy the layer, (Ctrl+J),I just chose RGB Red from the colour swatch, suitable sized brush set to Overlay and paint wherever you want the red. Overlay mode will allow the detail to remain.

Click on Add Layer Mask, zoom real close,and with black as the foreground colour paint the eye lashes back in, resizing the brushwhen necessary.If you go over onto the eye, press X on the keyboard to make the foreground colour white and paint the greyscale back again. Using a layer mask allows you to do this repeatedly if you make mistakes.

To do this in Elements you have to 'force' it to create a layer mask, which isn'ta straightoption.

Open your image then click on 'Create Adjustment Layer' in the layers palette. That's the circle half filled with black and white. When the menu appears select Levels and then when the dialogue box opens just click OK. We are just using the Adjustment layer as a mask.

Now drag your Background Layer onto the 'Create a New Layer' icon, it should be next to or near the 'Create Adjustment layer' icon.

So now you have, from the top, the Layer thumbnail linked with the layer mask thumbnail, next is the Background Copy and at the bottom is the Background.

Drag the Layer thumbnail and mask to the middle. So now you have from the top, Background copy, layer thumbnail & mask and at the bottom the Background.

Now press and hold the Alt key and move the cursor to the middle of the top two layers until it turns into two overlapping circles, Now click once with your mouse and the top two layers have been linked for the purposes of masking.

With the top layer selected, choose your brush size, colour and set the brushmode to Overlay. Paint in the red until you have all you want.

Now, this time,to bring back the eye lashes take the eraser tool, set the foreground colour to white and 'paint' over the lashes and anything else you don't want red. Again, as above, press X on the keyboard to make the foreground colour black and paint any red that you might have erased.

Yes, I know I said black and white in the earlier method and yes, I do mean white and black for this one.It's the way it is with the eraser tool.

Hope this helps.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:21 AM   #3

Thank you Stevekin,The iris was exactly what I was after.I will have a go at it ,but I'm not all that experienced.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 2:36 PM   #4

Well Steve, ithelps me tons!!!! I know you've already helped me with layers, but it'sgreat to be able to work though specific examples.

I shall run off the instructions right now.

Caroline. :G
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:10 PM   #5

You're welcome cock3tail, hope you can follow the method. Meaning, I hope I have explained it right .

Hi Caroline. You think you've got one thing cracked, when along comes another variation of the same theme :?. That's all part of the fun of P.S. though :G.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:20 AM   #6

Hi Steve,

Would the method you describe be the samefor Photoshop 7 ?

Cheers

the tadge

The Tadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:53 AM   #7

Hi Tadge.

You should be able to use the first method, as 7 has layer masks already.

The second method is just because Elements doesn't have the flexibility of layer masks.

Nice to see you are not holding THIS against me :lol:

Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:32 PM   #8

Steve,

Why no man ! Div'nt be daft.

( No, i am not holding anything against you. )

I have to say your reply made me laugh out loud. I have a good few friends from Wearside, nice people and a good shopping centre. In fact i bought my Canon A80 from Sunderland. So there !

I am a few miles up the coast at Whitley Bay. Made famous by Dire Straights. Do you know it ?

Good too see you on the forum. I have a couple of nice shots to post from a recent trip to the lakes. Should be on by Sunday. Thanks for the advice.

the tadge
:G
The Tadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:40 AM   #9

The Tadge wrote:
Quote:
Steve,

Why no man ! Div'nt be daft.

( No, i am not holding anything against you. )

I could work that one out all on my own Tadge:-).

I didn't think you were, I was just teasing about the the way the Geordies and Mackems hold each other in high regard :roll:.

Yes I do know Whitley Bay. Many a day trip there when we stayed in Sunderland.

But my endearing memory is of days out, some foggy, to Marsden Grotto. It was sad to see the Marsden Rock arch had collapsed, then the right hand piece blown up for safety reasons :sad:.

Here's one to put a smile on your face :

Oh me lads ye should have seen us gannin
Passin the folks upon the road

Just as they were stannin
Thor was lots of lad's and lasses there
All wi' smiling faces
Gannin alang the Scotswood road
Te' see the Blaydon races

Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:30 PM   #10

Champion !

The tadge