Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:32 PM   #1

ARRGGH!!! I can't do it! Tried looking in the "help" section on my adobe photoshop, but I just can't figure out how to do what I want! :crazy:

*sigh* So...I'm asking for your help again...

Can you take the bottle out of this pic? And I'd love to do something with the background...ideas??

And please...anyone with Adobe Photoshop? Can I get the results I'm looking for with it?Obviously I assume so...I just don't know how! :roll:What do I need to do? I mean,I guess I needsome verybasic instructions as far as exactly what tools to use. :angry:

For example, I understand that I kind of need to copy (clone?)the background I want, to cover the area I'm trying to replace...but what *tools* do I use to "copy" the background I want? And then how to I "put it" where I want it? Hope this makes sense!! :roll: (Sorry these are such basic questions!! I honestly appreciate all your help so much!! :-))
Attached Images

Murmurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:51 AM   #2

well, I am far from experienced with photoshop, so take all this with a grain of salt as Im sure there are people who can do this sort of thing. But since it seems maybe im a just alittle more experienced than you this might easier for you to do since were on the same level. In order to remove the bottle the easiest thing to do is use the clone stamp, unfortunetely you dont have a uniform or repeating background so that will be hard. You could use the blur/smudge tool to make the background unrecognizable. Or you could make a selection of the ferret, invert it then cut out the background and paste in a new one in another layer. The problem with that is making it look like your ferret isnt floating in space. The easiest thing to do is to reshoot the shot with uniform backgound and clone out the bottle.

Im sure someone much more experienced will come along and give you a real answer :lol:
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:05 PM   #3

Well, here's my attempt... Instead of removing the bottle and changing the background, I just cut out the ferret and put him on another background. There's a lighting difference, but this will give you an idea. In photoshop, I carefully selected him out using the lasso tool. There was a problem with the pink hue of the fur and the wiskers (because of the guys shirt). So i duplicated the layer as an unsaturated layer mask, then just brushed over the parts of the fur that looked pink. This turned it to gray, although it isn't perfect. Then I blurred the edges using the blur tool on about 15% to blend the ferret in a little. It was a 15 minute fix, but it should give you some tips to get you started.

ibd12c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:18 PM   #4

Okay, bottle gone.
I just blurred the background so that you can't make anything definate out of it.
I could have almost as easily replaced the background with another picture, but I don't know quite what you're looking for.

Actually, in a shot like this where background detail isn't important, it's easy to use the clone stamp tool to get rid of the bottle.

What I did after that was to select the ferret with the magic wand set to different strengths and using the "add" and "subtract" features of the wand get all of the ferret and little or none of the background. Then I clicked on "select" and chose "invert" from the drop-down menue. This selected everything in the photo except the ferret. Then I clicked on "filters", went to "blur" in the filter menue and chose "gaussian blur". This has a slider and a preview that lets you blur as much or as little as you want. In this case, everything but the ferret was selected, so the blur affected everything but the ferret.

If you have any questions, go ahead and ask and I'll do my best not to look like an idiot.

Grant

Attached Images

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:28 PM   #5

Ok... i just can't take credit for someone else's work. The picture I submitted earlier was really edited by this guy....

ibd12c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:38 PM   #6

Amazing stuff!! And VERY funny, HOWEVER.......................what happened to the explanation of how to do this in Adobe Photoshop???

Some of us are waiting for e a s y explanations of the magic y'all do. ( I love that word)

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:22 PM   #7

mommy_culleton wrote:
Quote:
Amazing stuff!! And VERY funny, HOWEVER.......................what happened to the explanation of how to do this in Adobe Photoshop???

Some of us are waiting for e a s y explanations of the magic y'all do. ( I love that word)

Rose

LOL...what a relief!! I'm glad I'm not the only, lonelyperson needing explanations around here!!! :-)

I have started to play with the stamp in Adobe, and did (I think/hope) a fair job in another pic I was playing with... I'll have to post that a bit later.

BTW, Grant,I liked the general effect in your version, and even better, the explanation. It will take a little practice on my part obviously (:?) but gives me somewhere to start!! I didn't really have anything specific in mind, just playing around to learn!! :-)
Murmurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:57 PM   #8

Murmurmel: If you wanted to change the background entirely, an easy way to do it would have been to get to the point where I went for the gaussian blur filter, but instead of opening the filter, open a second picture that you want to use as the background. Choose select > all, then copy the background photo to the clipboard with Edit > Copy. Then, make sure that the ferret picture is the active picture by clicking on it and then choose Edit > Paste Into. This will paste the clipboard contents into the ferret picture, and because the background is still selected in the ferret picture, the pasted background will only show through the background. You can then choose the move tool, click it on the background and drag the background pic around until it's exactly where you want it. Choose Layers > Flatten Image to finalize the pic and save any way you like.

In most of these situations, the borders between the foreground and background will be too sharp and phony-looking. There are so many ways to smooth the transition areas of selections that I can only recommend you read your resource material and look for the hundreds, if not thousands, of free tutorials about Photoshop on the Internet.

Go to a local bookstore and look at the many books about photoshop. Find some that cover the things you are most interested in and that you feel you can understand -- or will be able to understand with some practise. And practise is the only way that you'll really get a handle on any of this stuff.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:17 PM   #9

Basically much the same as the images of the bird done recentley. Mask is the way. Careful selection of the main object is the eky and paint in black hides paint white to reveal. So duplicate the layer apply what you need so on some examples here a new background was opted for. Now mask out of the background the shape required : see 2 masks in this post http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=89

To keep the original background, you caneither do a very carefu clone stamp & healing brush job or do a sloppy one on a new layer and use a mask to remove the overlap. This is a nice option.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 6:33 PM   #10

your coke bottle attests to the fact that you flipped your computer image!
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote