Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1

I like the look on her face and she is holding her arm out perfect, unfortunately the hand is out of focus. I was thinking it would be funny to put something in her hand. My first thought was a gun because of the "Go ahead, make my day" look on her face, but maybe something else would be good too
Attached Images

funktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2005, 5:51 AM   #2

Quick one.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:20 AM   #3

How about this?

Attached Images

cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 5:09 PM   #4

I like the results so far. Could someone walk me through how to do this? I have photoshop but am really an amatuer. Specifically how do you make the hand go over the top of the object? Also, where is a good place to find objects to add in?

I was just messing with it and I can't even figure out how to import a pic to play with hehe, I told ya I was an amatuer.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 2:42 AM   #5

You folks are top notch. Love the bottle makeover witht he "Fill this bottle now!"

I think it would be most interesting if we could get a quick description on how did you do that?

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 3:03 AM   #6

Hi funktree.

You can use an item from any of your own images, there are various sites with clipart that you download images, but I acquired the bottle from Google images.

Just enter the object you want and search. It's usually a good source of pics.

As for doing the do, I'm pretty sure cwodave would have done it the same way as me, so.....

To use another photo or selection of a photo to add to the current one you would first, select the portion you require by whatever means you feel comfortable with from the selection tools.

Copy the selection, press Ctrl + C on your keyboard to do this. Then paste it into your photo, press Ctrl + V. This will put the newly acquired portion on it's own layer.

Position the new item and resize it to look in perspective by using the Transform tool. Press Ctrl + T to bring up the transform box around your new layer. Click and hold on one of the corner points of the box and drag the new portion to the required size.

To maintain the proportions of the new layer, press and hold the Shift key while dragging it out, or in.

Sometimes you might want to reshape as well as resize the new layer to suit the image, if so, don't hold the shift key and resize/reshape using any of the corner points.

There are several ways to make the hand reappear over the item, but I prefer to use a layer mask, as you can correct any mistakes very easily.

With your new layer active, the one with the imported item on it, click on the icon for'Addlayer mask'. It's at the bottom of the layers palette, the square with a circle in it.

Now click once on the layer mask thumbnail to make sure it is active, (it should already be, but make sure or you will end up painting all over your photo).

Set the foreground/background colours to the default by pressing D on your key board and make sure black is on top (foreground). If not, press X to switch them.

Reduce the opacity of the new layer so that you can see the hand underneath, but still see the outline of the new object. Now take a brush, resize to suit the new layer and carefully 'paint' over the hand. This will reveal the underlying layer, the hand, keep painting until you are happy with it. If you make a mistake, then press X on the keyboard to make the foreground colour white and paint over the mistakes. Painting with black reveals what is underneath and white hides it.

When done, slide the opacity back up to 100 percent and check for any bits you might have missed, then flatten the image and save.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:20 AM   #7

You make it sound so simple :? I'll give it a go when I'm feeling brave.SHEESH!!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:46 AM   #8

Thanks, printed all that out. Gonna give it a shot today.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:00 AM   #9

mommy_culleton wrote:
Quote:
You make it sound so simple :? I'll give it a go when I'm feeling brave.SHEESH!!

Rose
Actually Rose, although I appreciate that if you have never performed any of the steps mentioned, it may seem daunting at first. As with anyone that is using an editing program from the start.But, honestly, it is rather simple to do and when you have done it once, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about :-).

The hardest part is keeping a steady hand, or mouse. That's where the layer mask will save you, time and again.

Do try to choose your additional item carefully though. That's why cwodave's edit looks more realistic, and better,than mine. Because the hand is in such a position, the baby would never be able to hold the bottle at her age like this, so my bottle is not quite the right size.

Let's face it. Give that to any baby and they will be back for more before you can burp them :roll:
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:02 PM   #10

Here you go funktree, this may what she is thinking. A pretty quick and rough job, but you get the idea. Pretty young to handle the recoil, so I gave her an air gun.:blah:
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote