Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:31 PM   #1

I had a chance to get up in the air and get some shots of Kansas City. I had one card and a half hour in the air. So I shot in auto mode a lot and in jpg large format. Here are a couple of images I shot. Please feel free to save the images and check them out. What did I do wrong, what can I do to improve these and can these images be improved? I'll never use auto again. My camera was clueless. (20D). Most of my shots came out like the last pic. All washed out .

Thanks.

Link to big file:

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcgridlock/misc/IMG_6125_mod.jpg

Link to big file:

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcgridlock/misc/IMG_6146_mod.jpg

Link to big file:

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcgridl...G_6130_mod.jpg
KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:43 PM   #2

I used auto color correction in photoshop on your last picture, it made the major change. Then I applied a little unsharp mask, and used the dodge brush in the foreground shadow area.

Never heard of Kansas City, it that anywhere near Overland Park, KS :blah:

Attached Images

CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:14 PM   #3

Here's your last one.

I made 3 levels corrections in different sections to try to even out the image a bit. Its a bit of a coarse go at it, could do better if I spent more time on it. On the big high res ones, some light USM would go a long way to bringing out some details.

As far as next time - figure out why the camera is over-exposing (it really shouldn't be), and consider getting a gradient filter to try to compensate for the haze on the horizon.

Seth
Attached Images

sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:33 PM   #4

I don't know a ton on Camera settings and situations, but what I do is in a new situation I do a few auto and then tend to go through some of the settings I feel might get me close, shoot several at each setting I think will work and alway try to geab at least a few RAW format to assist in the editing process.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5

sjburges wrote:
Quote:
Here's your last one.

I made 3 levels corrections in different sections to try to even out the image a bit. Its a bit of a coarse go at it, could do better if I spent more time on it. On the big high res ones, some light USM would go a long way to bringing out some details.

As far as next time - figure out why the camera is over-exposing (it really shouldn't be), and consider getting a gradient filter to try to compensate for the haze on the horizon.

Seth

Took your method and ran with it. I like this much better than my first attempt.
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:20 PM   #6

Canonfodder I like this last picture that you manage to work on, you made a big improvement to it.

I have also been playing around with the same image and so far have not managed to get quite as much out of it as you have.

Would you mind sharing your workflow and settings on this one so that I can learn to get that little more out of what was a very poor image.
Thanks Geoff
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:09 PM   #7

Thanks everybody. These photos are a hard to work with. I think next time I go up, I will slow down and not try to get 200 images in 20 minutes and only get a few decents shots. I would have rather slowed down and taken 40 photos and gotten 30 real good shots out of it. I'll catch on fast. I LOVED getting up in a chooper.

Anyway, I have alraedy used some of the ideas offered. Thanks.
KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:19 AM   #8

limeyg wrote:
Quote:
Canonfodder I like this last picture that you manage to work on, you made a big improvement to it.

I have also been playing around with the same image and so far have not managed to get quite as much out of it as you have.

Would you mind sharing your workflow and settings on this one so that I can learn to get that little more out of what was a very poor image.
Thanks Geoff
Below are the 4 layers that I ended up with. I started by duplicating several layers from the original photo.

1. Then starting at the top of the photo using the top layer (Layer 4), I adjusted thelevels until it looked good to me.

2. On the next layer down (layer 3)I adjusted levels for the region just below the one I previously adjusted in the photo.

3. Then using the eraser with a feathered edge I erased all of (layer 4) below the the area adjusted in step one.

4. Follow the same method for layer 2 erasing the bottom portion of layer 3, and layer 1 erasing the bottom of layer 2

5. Then I applied unsharp mask to each layer individually. The settings were amount: 100% to 200% depending on layer, radius: 3 pixels, threshold: 3 levels

Layers in picture are Layer 4 top left, layer 3 top right, layer 2 bottom left, layer 1 bottom right.
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:37 AM   #9

Same technique applied to second photo (KCMO guess you aren't going to bite on my OP comment :-) ) Nice shot with both Bartle Hall and the Liberty Memorial in it.
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:54 AM   #10

I think the graduated neutral density suggested by sjburges is a good one for some of the shots. You might use exposure bracketing and spot metering with a pre-meter on what you think is the average exposure.

This is the last shot with mostly button pushes and sliders. Defogging, Auto-Levels, a touch of Selective Color, a small amount of Shadow/Highlight to bring out the foreground a little and sharpening: I did a quick and dirty with selecting the background and bringing it out a little. Most DSLR shots don't need defogging as much as pictures taken with small sensors and no lens hood, but distance shots like those seem to benefit even with your camera:

This is the second shot with more defogging and sharpening only. Probably a little too much defogging as it looks a little overdone.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote