Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Dec 4, 2005, 6:53 PM   #1

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am amazed by what you are able to do with pictures...

I have a pic of my baby girl and I am trying to set a uni-color background (light pink or purple). I am trying with the gimp...

Does someone know how I should proceed to achieve that with the GIMP 2.2 ?

Thanks a lot. Fab
Attached Images

fep73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:35 AM   #2

Well I don't use gimp but I have seen it during a quick evaluation. It uses masks just as photoshop and I was able to dig up a tutorial written for Gimp (check out others on same site) http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/ReplaceBackground/

I did a very quick version, during morning coffee to show you what you can expect. This image suffers from a lot of shadow and bad light so you will have some work on levels to do. Here I used levels on the overall and a masked levels on the upper head. The mask was quick and dirty so I apologize. Background due to the shadows and no clean edges would be better graduated and from dark to light. This helps absorb some shadow area. I then added a color layer and tinted the outer edges with the background color this blends the black/dark grey shadow to fit with the background more a feel of cast color. the hair would want more work but as it blends into dark shadow is difficult to see so I went with a smooth head blend. Finally the edges of the mask are soft again to cope with the original background and the soft edges.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:27 AM   #3

Thank you creeduk.
That is what I expect to get...! I will try to follow the tutorial you indicated for the background replacement.

Fab

fep73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:54 AM   #4

That is the cutest picture of a floating baby I have ever seen :-)

They do amazing work here don't they!!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote