Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:36 PM   #1

I need some help replacing the sky on this pano.* *I tried, but it really looke fake.* The sky really needs to pop for this to work.* The stitch in the middle needs help, too.* And, oh, that top right corner could use a patch.* I'm not asking for much, am I?**Totally handheld, but got my sister and Dad on both ends.* *Thanks--
Attached Images

Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:06 AM   #2

Quick way....Find a sky you like. Open it in PS along side your image. Select all (of the sky image), edit/copy. Make your ski scene active, duplicate the active layer, then Edit/paste. Change the blend mode to Overlay, then take the eraser and 'rub out' the sky from the foreground, well, anywhere that is not sky. Use a soft edged brush to do this.

Oh, just clone the top right corner with some of the original sky first, likewise, just clone a cleaner edge to the middle portion.

Quick and dirty edit, excuse the low res sky, only one I had to hand.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:37 AM   #3

Long way.

Select the existing sky using the Magic Wand tool, set to a tolerance of 15. Adding to the selection until all the sky is selected. Zoom in close, as the selection may well include parts of the mountain tops because they are similar in colour to the sky. You may have to deselect some of it. Now go to Select/Invert and feather the selection by 1 pixel (to soften the edge).

Press Ctrl + J to copy the selection to a new layer. Make the background layer active. Click the eyedropper tool and make the foreground colour a light cyan and the background colour 10% grey. Use whatever colours you prefer though. Click on the gradient tool, then click and drag from the top of the image down to just past where the mountains begin. Let go and now go to Filter/Render/Clouds and that will create a cloud effect using the foreground and background colours already chosen.

Actually, you could just choose the colours for the foreground/Background and go straight to the Render/clouds filter without using the Gradient tool.

Both methods using Photoshop, hopefully you use this. Elements is suitable too.

Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:18 PM   #4

Great tips, Stevekin-- Thanks much!* I'm quite a newb at PS, so I appreciate you being specific and giving two options.**
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:39 PM   #5

You're welcome Scotious. One other thing, you may notice my first edit looks a little brighter. I felt the image needed a slight levels adjustment (forgot to do it on the second one :roll.

There are many more ways to achieve this and pretty much everything else in PS. Please ask away, there are plenty of members who will be happy to help 8).