Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:01 AM   #1

Ok I want this cannon to look old as in sepia or Black and white but before I do that I need to isolate it and fade the background so it does not stand out. So far Ive cropped into the canon, removed the post and wires with cloning but cant seem to get that fence out of the way. I tried layering but the whole thing looked odd.

HELP

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:06 AM   #2

You don't want much, do you Julie :-).

First, you need to select the Harpoon andthe boat it's onby whatever method you prefer. I zoomed in real close and used the eraser. Copy the selection to a new layer, then turn off visibility.

Make the background layer active, in fact you should be on a background layer copy. First, I made a selection where the rock/ground behind the harpoon, then clone stamped over the area, sampling from the good bit on the far right. Don't worry about it looking messy, once the visibility of the harpoon layer is switched back on, it will cover any mess.

Then clone the mountains as you already have done.

For the sea, make a selection of a good part of it, feather by 5 pixels, then hold down Ctrl + Alt, click and hold inside the selection and drag the new sea over the bits you want rid of. Repeat this until all is covered. You can tidy up with more cloning if necessary.

Switch back on the visibility of the harpoon layer and it should look something like below.

I haven't done anything with the background as it was washed out already and you didn't want it standing out.

Here is a colour version, followed by a sepia version using an action I have written and a B&W version.

*Just had a thought. You probably would want rid of the ground as well. If you did, then just continue covering up with sea and forget about the selection of the ground area.*

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:24 AM   #3

Just in case.......

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:06 PM   #4

Why not try a different way and make the harpoon gun look old and rusty to make it stand out.
Attached Images

limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:16 AM   #5

these are all great thanks all
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote