Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:32 PM   #1

Anyone tell me how to free this little fellow?
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:53 PM   #2

Lots of cloning is really the only way to pull that off.

Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:06 AM   #3

Thanks Corpsy. I still can't get used to that cloning tool yet. I need to practise more.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4

Here's a couple tips;Approach the image with the mindset of trying to create a good looking image, rather than try to accurately recreate the missing detail. Feel free to add things that weren't there if it might make things easier or look better. For instance, if a bar was covering a part of the image that you didn't think you could recreate, you could cover it in shadow or add more hair in the general area.When using the clone tool, try to match the brush to what you're trying to accomplish. Give it a hard edge when doing an edge, a soft edge when filling texture, lower the flow rate if you just want to add some color or tone, etc...I recommend that instead of sampling one spot and then filling in another, try taking a sample then clicking once in the area you are filling, then taking another sample and clicking again. This will create a unique texture that will not be easily identified as a clone of another area.Use a number of layers to lay down your clone brush. I only used one layer in this instance because I didn't want to take the time to do a perfect job, but typically I'll lay down a base layer that gets the broad details down, then fine tune those areas on a layer above. Sometimes if it's too hard to fill a whole area with the clone, I'll just paint in what I think are the appropriate colors. You can then add detail with the clone tool later, or use the healing to fill in a texture. If I really wanted to do a good job with the hair, I'd use a large, soft brush to cover the bars, then go in with a tiny brush to add extra hair detail.Here's a more advanced tip.*Sometimes you can clone over an area with the right detail, but it isn't the right tone. When that happens, add either a curves or levels adjustment layer. Adjust the image until that part of the image looks to be as bright or dark as you need it to be (don't worry that the whole image is affected). It may help to overdo it a little. Now select the adjustment layer mask and invert it (ctrl + i). Using a soft white brush with a low flow, probably about 10%, paint white into the mask to reveal the adjustment in the area you want to fix.*I use this trick all the time in my Photoshop work using all kinds of adjustment layers for very nice effects. I use CS2, and I think you need at least Photoshop 7 to do it.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:46 AM   #5

I'm sorry that my previous post is not broken up into paragraphs, I wrote that while on lunch at work using Safari on my Mac. Apparently there's no way to insert paragraph breaks.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:33 PM   #6

Corpsy, I really appreciate the time out you took to help me here. I have PS 7 and I am gradually getting to grips with it but still feel overwhelmed by the capabilities of this software. I also appreciate the work flow and tips you've provided me and will have a go at putting them into practise. You make it all seem so easy. I just wish they had this technology when I was younger.

Again, thanks Corpsy.

ISoS
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:16 PM   #7

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like if technology was just 10 years more advanced when I was in high school, I'd have this overstuffed portfolio of digital artwork and some nice videos and animation. As it was, my first computer cost 50% more than this one, was less than 1/1000th as fast (literally, it was 25 mhz), and it couldn't do squat.

As for Photoshop, two years ago I thought I was about as good as I could get at it. Then I got a job doing it and learned a lot, and now I realize I wasn't even close. I was very arrogant then, but I don't have that problem anymore. Now I'm perfect.
:blah:

Anyway, feel free to post some projects in the Xtreme Makeover section and I'll share some of my techniques to help you out.

Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:38 AM   #8

Thanks for the invite Corpsy. I'll look through my archives and see what challenges I can put forward.

When I was a kid art was my real passion, more particularly was animation. I wanted to make crazy animations and my mind was full of ideas. It seemed though that there was a lot to it and my patience for frame by frame working just wasn't there. The buzz was just to slow arriving. In fact the same was true of photography. Waiting for films to be developed just didn't give me the freedom of speed as I would have liked. I got into pen & ink and did quite a bit of graphic art comic strips, but my style was too slow and detailed to keep my interest.

If only I could take back in time my PC, camera& video camera along with Photoshop and say Pinacle to when I was around 16 - 25 I would have had so much fun learning all this. Those now old animated music films used to inspire me. Of course as did Monty Python and the work of Storm Thorgerson.

Technology now astounds me and I feel quite left behind. would love to know what someone like Man Ray could've done with a digital camera and photoshop!