Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:58 PM   #1

can you....yes you....help me with this shot. I don't know what to do with it, how to bring out all but the ray of light...how to enhance it in any way. This is a 2 part pano with both shots having the ray of light in opposite sides of the shot, then merged in PS elements. I don't know enough about this program as yet, to go my own way. The camera, i have only had for 1 week and still have to learn that as well.

Please do what you want
Attached Images

Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 2:36 AM   #2

I haven't used elements so I don't know what capabilities it has, but I did this in Photoshop CS2. I just used a few curves adjustments with some masks to bring out all the other detail. For the look of the picture, what I did was probably a bit overboard, but it shows that a lot of detail was retained in the dark areas.

The EXIF data only indicated that you shot this on a Fujifilm camera. What model did you shoot this with? It really held a lot of detail in the underexposed areas. For a shot like this, usually the best thing is to shoot in RAW if it's practical, and to bracket your shot so that you have some shots where the sky is well exposed, and some where the rest of it is well exposed. You can then blend the shots together in PS. If you're using a tripod it's not too difficult to do.

Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:42 AM   #3

hey corpsy,
that looks great, not sure why the exif shows Fuji as this was taken with my new KM-5DSLR. i will post both original shots to see what you and others can do with them, because i think it is quite a good shot....just needs some attention

Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:44 AM   #4

here's no.2
Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:01 AM   #5

The confusion with the EXIF may be down to you using FinePix Viewer Ver. 4.1.

This appears to have overwritten any data as there is actually no EXIF file in the image. It's just general deatails like document size etc.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:29 AM   #6

I noticed that the EXIF said something about the finepix viewer, but I just assumed you'd only use that if you had a Fuji.

This shot is a pretty good demonstration of the advantage of an SLR. They preserve a lot more detail in areas where other cameras would turn it all to black or noise.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote