Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:38 PM   #1

Here is a photo taken in the early 20th century. It is in extremely poor condition. I have done some work on it in PSP9 and have improved it significantly. This is my first major restoration attempt. Although I am happy that I was able to accomplish as much as I did, I'm sure some of you experts out there can do much better.

Here is the original scanned photo:

Here is my restoration attempt:

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:26 AM   #2

I don't know if you would call this better or not, but here is my take on it. I think you did a really good job, so about all I was able to to more was to replace the sky and change the tint and contrast some.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:58 AM   #3

You have done a really good job so far. Basically it is jus more minor repair work which is easier to do on the full size copy. I assume you scanned at a very high resolution to make life easier. Then some color tweaks. Here is a few things I did, nothing drastic.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:09 AM   #4

Nice edits Brian and Creeduk !!

I didn't take the shortcut and use Cal's edit as a starting point creeduk, wish I had though :roll:.

Someone may go the whole hog and hand paint it for you Cal, but my take is just a little more dramatic b&w. Nice clean up btw !!

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5

One problem not too evident in these reduced photos is that the big scratch on the lower right side is more than a scratch. In two places along that scratch/crease, the print has actually torn and elements above/below the tear have shifted. This is evident in the door on the right side of the house and the eaves at the upper right corner. In my restore, I did some careful copy/paste operations to restore the alignment of the shifted elements. Stevekin, in your edit, you can see the jog in the door although it is not real noticeable.

I understand that PSP9 includes some retouching software that I am anxious to try on this photo.

Thanks everyone. If anyone else wants to have a go at, please do so. The photo comes from my wife's family scrapbook and she only asked me to scan it. When I saw the poor condition of the photo, I found it to be an excellent opportunity to "cut my teeth" on a restoration project.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:28 PM   #6

Actually Cal I did notice this, but to be honest, I couldn't be bothered with correcting it as I felt this had now become an exercise in taking your own edit a stage further. Which is what my 'nice clean up btw' was aimed at 8).

That's how I realised creeduk had used your edit to continue on, well that and the repeat cloning pattern at the bottom .
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:10 PM   #7

LMAO, not gonna stare a gift horse in the mouth job is nearly done then let me have at it..lol

Seriously, on some jobs yes to start again is a good idea because the fix may not have bee going well, but in this case it was going good and with out access to a full size/res scan then the second one was the place to start. I had noticed some scratches on the right and the color is tricky, I would probably stay close to th original, I just changed mine to try it out.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote