Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:11 PM   #1

Been scanning some slides and came across several film strip rolls my Dad took many years ago. They are all beat up and very brittle. Here is one that I have been working on with little success. This particulary photo is right from the scanner.
Attached Images

Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:50 AM   #2

OK , basically you need to duplicate the layer and start clone stamping away the most visible horizontal lines. Also I found I was able to restore some detail before I started. Then I used noise reduction but maintained the detail, finally a levels adjustment. More would need doing but it is just a case of looking at the 100% seeing what stands out and going in with clone stamp (reduced opacity) and clone away until not visible. Be careful not be drawn in on small details that do not actually stand out at 100%.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:52 AM   #3

Of course if the scan comes out well enough there may be more detail in the tree or sky to save but that depands on scan quality at full size, you should scan at a very high resolution to help give you as large a canvas and details to work on.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:49 AM   #4

Thanks creeduk, sure made a big improvement. I was using a program my nephew bought called Noise Ninja. Seems rather involved. What program did you use?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:41 AM   #5

I used Photoshop CS2, it has a built in noise reduction, which allows you to keep some detail as well. Once the clone stamp was used (in Photoshop) it allowed lower noise reduction settings.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:09 PM   #6

I have Adobe PSE2 however, I can't find instructions as how to use the Layer feature. So I just went about doing it my way. Between Noise Ninja & Adobe this is my results so far.
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:27 PM   #7

try this one: http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_wwhy1.htm

or

http://www.webworksite.com/working_with_layers.shtml

or

A whole host of video tutorial/demos that will get you going in the right direction. Layers are huge in editing and a big must.

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/videotips/
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:55 AM   #8

I have PSE3, so the tools may be different. The touchup tool was what I used most on this. Setting it for pattern, and picking out an undamaged part near what you want to repair seems to be the most effective way to use it. This gets rid of most of the scratches and noise, but it's slow to use. Under 'filters' - noise, there is a 'remove dust and scratches' setting. This is quick, and affects the whole picture, but tends to blur details.

Since the picture was small, I resized it to double size, then did the cleanup, and resized back to original. Added a touch of sepia because it's that kind of picture.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:04 PM   #9

Hi there Vtphotog - Yes a job well done. Mine looked like a airbrush job for theexposed skin and other areas looked unnaturally smooth.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:34 PM   #10

I have PSE 2.02 - I don't find a drop down for patterns - however, I decided when all else fails, use the help mode. Amazing how much that F1 key knows. Still finding the skin tone a little too smooth, however progress is being made. :-)