Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:36 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

This is a picture of Megan. I have been photographing her for two years, building up her confidence etc prior to helping her get into modelling.

Anyway, how do I go about changing a models hair colour to normal hair colours e.g. blonde, brunette, streaks etc?

I use Photoshop CS.

Could someone have a go and give step by step instuctions?

Cheers

Allan
Attached Images

Angel1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:16 PM   #2

First, add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Select from the drop down the color that you want to change, then adjust the hue, saturation and lightness. If it isn't changing all the hair, expand the color range using the sliders at the bottom of the Hue/Saturation menu.

You will most likely end up coloring parts you don't intend to, and that's fine. Notice that when you create the adjustment layer, it has a layer mask to the right of it that is pure white. This means that it will apply to the whole image. Select the mask and invert it (ctrl + i). Now the mask is black and applies to none of the image. With the mask still selected, use a paint brush and paint white all over the hair. Anything white in the mask will receive the adjustment.

To try another color, simply duplicate the adjustment layer (drag it onto the new layer icon (the piece of paper) at the bottom of the layers menu). Make one adjustment layer invisible and then change the other layer. I found that I like the way black hair looks on this model.

To add highlights, I use a similar trick. Add a curves adjustment, or any other adjustment you like to make the image appear to be brightly lit. Invert the adjustment layer's mask, then use a white brush to paint the highlights.

Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:16 PM   #3

Here's the finished color change with highlights.

Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:20 PM   #4

And here she is with some more adjustments. In this case, I used additional curves layers to mask in more highlights and shadows to make it appear that there is a bright light to the right. I probably went a bit overboard, but this is a decent example of what you can do with this technique.

I also changed the background color to something I felt was more complimentary. For that, I actually used the Color Range tool in the Select menu to select all the green, then while it was selected, created a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. When you create an adjustment layer while you have a selection, that selection becomes the layer mask. It was then easy to change the color by selecting the "colorize" option and moving the hue slider.
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:48 PM   #5

A method I like to use for this is type of edit is the following: Duplicate the layer, change to screen, lower opacity a little and mask the areas leaving the hair effected. (required to reduce the depth o color so the new one takes better) Nownew layer, also set to screen, open a reference image amodel with hair the color desired, use the clone brush to paint in the color on the new layer, using a color brush will get a similar effect but not as true, using the clone brush will copy the different tones in the source hair, the layer is in screen and reduced opaicity so the blend allows the flow of the original hair to come through.

this was a very quick 5 maybe 10 min edit, had to dash off look after the kids, but the idea should come through,once you have a good blonde base you can use hue sat to do all the red and other light types, to darken I think corpsy has shown that method admirably.I had left this threadopen from earlier and only noticed he posted when I submitted my reply, I am glad we went in different directions it helps show different paths.

Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:55 PM   #6

WOW!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the work and instructions.

They all look GREAT!

It looks like I will be having some Photoshop fun

Cheers

Allan

Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:39 PM   #7

Hi Corpsy,

I am having a go with your technique.

However, I think I must be doing something stupid :?

I get as far as painting the hair white then adjusting the hue etc, but I cant see the result due to the white paint????

Sorry to be so stpid...but what am I not doing??

As you will have guessed, I am a Photoshop novice.

Cheers

Allan
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:15 PM   #8

There was no hair painting, the white painting is on the layer mask. There is a layer mask on the adjustment layer by default it is set to show all. When you paint bacl it will hide, so you can fill the layer mask with black and start painting back in only where the hair is. this is done while being able to see the layer. If you have selected just to see the mask Alt+click on mask (opt on mac) then simply click the main adjustment layer and you will be able to see the image. so Alt click Mask to see mask, click outside mask to turn off (or alt_click mask again) and shif+click layer mask to toggle layer mask on and off.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:52 PM   #9

Hey,

Thanks........I finally got it

Cheers

Allan

PS. Other than the cloning method...is there another way to lighten hair e.g. make it blonder?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:25 AM   #10

You can start with the hue and saturation that will get you part way, of course becasue bottom of the hair is darker some manual intervention is required. You can add a layer for color or screen I would advice screen in this instance, now paint on that layer with color selected from blonde. You will need to lower the opacity as the effect wil lbe harsh at 100%. I prefer the clone method it just gives nicer results (IMHO) I keep a selection of various models available it helps for skin tones, textures hair color etc.