Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:24 AM   #1

Hi everyone.

I was hoping that some of you could help me out. I am going overseas in a week and thought I might look for a graphics tablet duty-free.

I have just started to get really into PP my photos (more like better able to understand) and want to gain better control than just my mouse.

I have been told that the Wacom Intuos3 A5 tablet is good and that Wacom are leaders in tablets. Can anyone else suggest a better product or a more suitable size for working with photos?

If it makes it any easier my computer runs on XP, I use CS2 for editting and my monitor is an LCD 17".

Which begs another question if I may, what do you recommend as a good reliable monitor calibrator for LCD?

Thanks looking forward to your replies.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:30 AM   #2

I am afraid I can't really help you with this question, as I have not used a graphics tablet. I find that, for post processing, most of the work is done globally. If I were more creative, and doing artwork and freehand graphics, I would give a lot more consideration to a tablet, though. Main advantage I see is that they are pressure sensitive, which makes brush work more realistic.

The Graphire also seems to have a fairly good following.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:54 AM   #3

It really depends on your desk size and screen ratio. the new wider tablets have been designed for the wide screens of many new laptops and Flat panel displays. The others are preference and I have heard people argue both sides equally. Bigger is better is one and others say they have to move their hand so much more on the bigger one that they usually re-calibrate to use a smaller area. Smaller is better for the exact opposite reasons. So I would look at going in the middle, if you have the space and you want to work on large images and maybe have a physically large master actually laid under the tablet overlay plastic then go as big as your desk and budget allow.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:01 PM   #4

yes, def go with a wacom.

I have a graphire4 that I am completely happy with. The intuous are about twice the price of the graphire4. My 6x8 was about 160 bucks. It is extremly useful for what I use it for (mostly precision masking) I dont find anything deficient from the graphire4, and I would suspect if you are not a gprahics artist, the extra money and sensativity levels will be lost on you.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies folks,

I will continue to look into what my real needs are and go from there. As I have just gotten back from my trip I am a little short on cash.

I really appreciate your comments. Thanks again
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:37 PM   #6

If you're still shopping, I would say get a Wacom and don't go any smaller than the 6x8. I used to have a Graphire tablet and it was pretty great. I ended up getting a bigger Intuos 3 tablet because I'm really anal-retentive when it comes to some things. I just wanted to make sure I had the best available. The Graphire worked just fine, though.
Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote