View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:42 PM   #1
ghudson

Default Need Nikon D5000 advice

I think I am about to buy the Nikon D5000. I have done some online research and went to my local camera store yesterday and actually played with the Nikon D5000 and a few other models from Nikon an Canon. I held a Sony DSLR but the grip was too small for my long fingers.

I thought I wanted the Canon T1i but the swivel LCD of the Nikon really impressed me and it also was the only camera that allowed you to use Live View and auto focus to take the shot like you can with a point and shoot digital camera. I currently have a four year old Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and am ready to step up to a DSLR. It is decent with good outdoor lighting but crappy with low lighting.

I need the camera to be easy to operate for I want my wife to also be able to take pictures even though she thinks my simple DiMAGE Z3 is complicated to use so a DSLR will take some time for her to warm up to it. The D5000 appears to be easy to use and the built in help feature was impressive.

The type of shooting I will be doing is the standard family stuff but I also want to get the best pictures I can afford of my son playing pee wee football on Saturday afternoons and my daughter participating in the marching band during high school football on Friday nights. I can only afford to get the Nikon - Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom Lens to help me get as close to the action as monetarily possible. What type of quality pictures can I expect with this lens and using the available settings of the D5000? It has a maximum ISO of 3200 so I am hoping that will help with the low lighting of the nighttime football games.

Any setting suggestions for the various type of photo opportunities from those that currently have the D5000?

Will the D5000 and the Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm lense make me happy or will it disappoint me with the type of pictures I plan to take?

Thanks in advice for your help and suggestions.
ghudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links