View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:07 PM   #305
javacleve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The A700 is a fine camera with a lot of useful features for what you want to do. But the selection of large aperture medium telephoto lenses is small and expensive. The 85/1.4 is $1,370 and the 135/1.8 is $1,470. Compare that with Canon's 85/1.8 for $440, 100/2.0 for $450, and 135/2.0 for $1,070.

If you could use a slower shutter speed, you wouldn't need a dSLR. You want to use a fast shutter speed for you subject, which is why you need large aperture lenses and higher ISO settings. The faster shutter speed not only prevents motion blur from subject movement, it prevents motion blur from camera shake. Therefore you don't need image stabilization for shooting your gymnastics.

He's right. But they have been discontinued and are getting very hard to find.

Yes. Primarily, the D5000 doesn't have an internal AF motor, so the large aperture medium telephoto lenses you need would be manual focus only. Also, the AF system isn't very good for sports/action.

Ok, but was there a little girl flying across the room in the picture you took? You want to take photos of your daughter performing gymnastics. For that, you need faster shutter speeds. When you use faster shutter speeds, you don't need to wory about motion blur. In order to use fast shutter speeds, you need larger apertures and higher ISOs. A camera with a maximum ISO setting of 1600 (like the XSi) means you can only use lenses with a maximum aperture of f/2.0 or larger (numerically smaller). A camera with a maximum ISO setting of 3200 (like the T1i) means you can use lenses with a maximum aperture of f/2.8.

You can go with the XSi, but your lens choice is limited to fast primes. If you go with the T1i, you could use a zoom like the Sigma 50-150/2.8 or the 70-200/2.8 from Sigma, Tamron or Canon. If you go with the Sony A700, you can go with a fast zoom, but the fast primes are very expensive.
yeah, DUH, I thought of that after I posted yesterday LOL It still could help in other situations in which I might use that lens, though (say, at the zoo). I forgot that the A500 was the new Sony...so the jury is out on that one yet... maybe the store can get one in, though. Thanks again!
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote