View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:35 PM   #42
JohnG

Quote:
and I'd consider many of your posts to be borderline in that area, with suggestions that readers ignore posts from someone that doesn't have albums full of sports photos to share
My advice is fairly strait forward. The internet is full of a lot of advice - much of it is bad advice. If someone is telling you how to shoot portraits or what gear you need for portraits, and that person has no portrait photos to show you that should be a red flag. Sports shooting is no different. I fail to see how a person that doesn't shoot say basketball or any sport similar to basketball can give good advice. And, seeing as people visiting web sites don't know who's advice is good and whose is bad - the common denominator is photos. Its about photography after all.

Quote:
Just because someone hasn't taken photos in the exact same conditions with a given camera model that you have, or that they're not as experienced in a given area (and your skill level at shooting sports is obviously very high), doesn't mean that they're not capable of offering opinions about one camera model versus another, based on their experience with them in other conditions.
It isn't about what conditions I shoot in. It's about the conditions a given poster shoots in. And my advice to them is - you're going to get the best info from people that shoot in that environment. But specifically when it comes to sports shooting, equipment makes a big difference. You will not find a proficient sports photographer that disagrees with that assessment. And, with things like focus systems, we can't rely on the standard tests reviewers perform - they don't test that. It's a difficult thing to test. So, the only educated advise you can get is from people that actually use the gear in the field.

As to my comments about reviews here and elsewhere - I'm fairly consistent in that I say those reviews aren't a good basis for judging sports shooting ability of the equipment. I don't disagree the reviews are not geared towards sports shooters. But the fall-out of that is those reviews are not a good measuring stick for how that gear will perform in the sports shooting world. So again, if those reviews don't address sports shooting you need to look for people that have been-there-done-that. Given the small number of people that post here at Steves about sports shooting - that often means people have to look elsewhere for that been-there-done-that advice.

Quote:
One thing that I'd like to encourage here is more entry level shooters sharing their results with various cameras, so that we have a higher level of participation in that area, instead of referring them to other sites to get semi-pro opinions of models.
I agree completely. And I would suggest an entry level person who happens to shoot drag racing would be an excellent source for the OP to hear from.

In the end - this forum is about people asking how they should spend their hard earned money. I think it's only fair to give them an honest answer - even if that answer is: there's no one here with enough experience in what you want to shoot to give you a good answer - but here are some people at other sites who might be able to better answer your question. The worst instructors I ever had weren't ones that didn't have answers they were the ones who couldn't admit they didn't have them and couldn't help direct you to someone/something that DID. I've run into too many people in real life that have a camera they bought to shoot sports and they're disappointed with the results. Too late - they already spent their money. If they had gotten credible advice BEFORE spending their money they could have made different decisions.

It's up to the OP and other readers whether they believe my advice is valid or not. In the end - this particular sub-forum is asking for advice on how to spend money not about asking me to be their friend. I'll leave this thread as-is. Viewers can decide for themselves whether what I'm saying has merit or not.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote