View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2009, 4:40 PM   #9
lesmore49

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thank you, jgredline, jelpee, and lesmore49 for your kind comments.

I found this article containing the nitty-gritty on NYC street vending.

http://www.slate.com/id/2224941/

Essentially, NYC doesn’t set the price on how much monthly rent a street vendor pays the city for a spot in high traffic tourist attractions like the Met. The price is set by auction among competing vendors. In the article, the winning vendor agreed to pay the city $362,201 for one year or $53,558 per month to sell hotdogs.

About a year ago I remember reading a similar article where a street vendor pays the city $175,000 a year for a street corner in midtown Manhattan (where Saks, Bergdorf Goodman, and all the other posh department stores are) to sell peanuts. I thought that was excessive and maybe I remember wrong but the article above confirms my memory.

For other street corners around the city that are not “parks”, there is no rent. The street vendor only pays for the city permit ($50 for two years, if I understand NYC’s website correctly) plus the cost of his cart. Recently I saw the movie, “Man Push Cart”, on Netflix about a Pakistani coffee street vendor in NYC. He pays $5,000 for his stainless steel coffee cart similar to #3 above.

Yes, jelpee, great food is right there on the streets of NYC. My favorite is chicken gyro -- that's chunks of grilled chicken breast wrapped inside a pita bread topped with chopped green salad and white and red hot and spicy sauce. Some sell it for $3.75 but people don't bother for change so it goes for $4. That's pretty cheap.

For breakfast, large coffee is $1.25 and a bagel I think is 50 cents. For me, I get a roll with butter for breakfast for a $2 total.

They put too much butter, though. I scrape it off with a plastic spoon. Looking at the heaping mound of butter on the plastic spoon, I can't imagine what would happen to my arteries if I stuff it all in.

My coffee street vendor is manned by two very friendly Moroccan immigrants and they already know what I get. They watch the street crowd always so by the time I get to their cart, my coffee and roll are ready. Still, when there's a line -- as is most often the case -- it feels good to say, "The usual please", in front of all the other patrons when my turn comes.
Thanks vcarpio for the interesting info...boy $ 363K is a lot of hotdogs...but then taxi licenses sell for about the same out here. Thank you again for the info and the article...fascinating world...the world of commerce.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote