View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:31 PM   #9
mtngal

Love all the opinions, at least the picture more or less shows what I wanted, so it's reasonably effective, even though it's not one of my usual pretty pictures.

The rose bush is in a vacant lot that used to have a gas station on it. At one time the roses were well taken care of but now they are on their own. So I was after "beauty/nature locked up but surviving in an urban wasteland" (notice the abandoned hubcap in the background).

I originally had tried a lower shot using a macro lens with just the fence somewhat OOF and one rose in focus, but it missed the vacant lot/urban wasteland connotation, which is really the main point I wanted to make. And everyone who saw it just remarked how sad it was that I had the OOF fence in front of the pretty rose and how I should have gotten closer and shot through the fence (obviously that picture failed what I had tried to do). So this time I used a fisheye to get the fence in focus and as much of the lot as I could, while trying to not show the buildings on either side of it (and as little of the parking lot and alley as possible). I thought this one was more effective, and from everyone's response, it is. But just because its effective doesn't make it a good picture, and at this point I'm not sure its possible to get it to be both effective AND a good picture.

The fence post bothers me also. I actually took several shots and this is actually made up of two different pictures - one OOF and overexposed and one sharp and correctly exposed. I also shot one that was sharp and slightly overexposed, but I preferred the darker version partly because the post wasn't quite as obvious. It was interesting to process as this is the first time I've tried the basic "orton effect" with two different pictures and I like it better than what I was getting using one picture and software to make a second OOF layer.

kazuya - I actually have a couple of other shots that had more trash in it - there was some paper along the fence line. But the roses got lost in the urban jungle, this vacant lot is right in the middle of a busy commercial area.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote