Thread: D90 or 50D?
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:14 AM   #6
rjseeney

If you can't answer those questions, it makes it tough to make a recommendation. You are right that the D5k is missing a few features. Going up to the D90 doesn't get you a whole lot more, going to the 50d, gets you a a little more, mostly in terms of speed and build quality. Have you missed shots or had a hard time getting a shot because of the D5k?? Honestly, unless you are shooting sports or action, or a regularly abusing the camera, you probably don't need the 50d. Wanting a camera is one thing, but do you really need it? A flash, better lenses, or investing in a tripod will do more to help you get better images than a new body. Especially if you are just going to pair a nicer body with a superzoom. Also understand, neither will get you better images (maybe marginally so, at least not enough to be immediately noticeable). I don't think getting a camera because it is more professional looking is necessarily the right decision. There is something to be said to having a lightweight camera, and again for me, my D5k is my first choice for daily use over my D300.

If you've got money to burn, then really for a few bucks more, the D300(s) is probably a better choice than the 50d, simply because you will be able to swap lenses , and the control system is the same. Why keep the d5k as a backup if you won't be able to use your canon lenses (if the 50d fails) on your backup. And again, going back and forth between systems is not easy.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote