View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:41 PM   #1
mrmacmusic

Default Macro on a budget... help please!

I'm enjoying taking photos again (and videos) with my new GH1 outfit, but I do want to explore the wonderful world of macro photography.... however, I simply can't afford a proper m4/3 macro lens at the minute.

I have read that old glass is quite easy to use on the GH1 (via an adaptor of course), and have also read that reversing a lens works well for macro work, giving quite high magnifications.

I don't know what lens(es) would be best to give this a whirl though - 28mm? 50mm? 85mm? I've seen a 52mm thread reversing ring with m4/3 mount on eBay which suggests that all I have to do is find a prime lens with 52mm filter thread, fire it on, and it's good to go backwards, yes?

When you reverse a lens, is the magnification also the opposite way round - e.g. the wider the focal length, the more magnification (so a 28mm lens would offer more enlargement than an 85mm)..?

Given its' usefulness as a portrait (and video) lens, would a 50mm f/1.4 (or f/1.8) would be a good dual-purpose manual lens to have..? Is it even remotely suitable and appropriate for reverse macro..?

Any lens choices (and other macro) advice would be very much appreciated!!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links