May 17, 2010, 3:48 PM
Join Date: May 2010
First-time dSLR buyer - $1,200 budget
I'm about a day away from jumping on my first SLR. I have been doing quite a bit of research on my own, as I always do when making a relatively big purchase like this.
I have to admit, based on reviews and recommendations from a few friends, I have been leaning toward the Canon T2i.
A couple important notes about myself, to help you in helping me (kind of in priority order):
There's a local shop about 20 miles from my house that has the T2i in stock (only 2 of them). Called, and here's what they quoted me:
- I am a Realtor (residential).
- I have two kids, 5 months and 3.5 years.
- For P&S cameras, my past includes the Canon A80, SD850, SD880. I have always been a pretty big fan of Canon, but I would definitely consider another brand.
- HD movie is important to me. Primarily short clips (kids and houses), which is all we do with our camcorder anyway.
- $1,200 initial starting budget is relatively firm.
Total = $1,233.16
I would also likely pick up the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 from B&H for $720, but not right off the bat, unless someone thinks I should skip the 55-250, and go for the wide from the start.
Your help is really appreciated, so thanks in advance.
- Canon T2i w/ kit lens - $829.99
- Canon EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS - $299.99
- $200 off (if I purchase both of the above) = $929.98 + $67.80 (tax)
- Mack 3-year Diamond Coverage - $139.99 (is it worth it?)
- 16GB Sandisk Extreme III - $89.99
Last edited by ckeegan; May 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM.