View Single Post
Old May 23, 2010, 6:25 AM   #4
TCav

I agree with my colleagues. A dSLR is capable of superior video, but it will take a lot more effort on your part to get it. dSLRs generally can't automatically change the exposure settings while recording a video, so if the lighting changes, the scene will end up either underexposed or overexposed. Also generally, dSLRs can't change the focus while recording a video, and those that can are slow to do so. In addition, camcorders have much greater zoom ratios than dSLR lenses, giving you greater flexibility, and the dSLR lenses that do have significant zoom ratios, and so may be good for recording videos, aren't very good for shooting still images.

The primary reason to go with a dSLR over a P&S is that you don't have to compromise when shooting still images. Using a dSLR to shoot video is the antithesis of not compromising, and unless you're willing to put forth the extra effort to get the excellent video that dSLRs are capable of, I think you'd be happier with a camcorder or a P&S.

Last edited by TCav; May 23, 2010 at 6:49 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote