Thread: Hawk!
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:00 AM   #10
jelow1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
If got a shot like that, it would be a miracle... for me. I saw the hit and it was lightning-fast. That grackle never knew what hit it. Of course, this occurred about 18-20 feet away when I was unprepared. I would imagine if I spent the day out in the field and kept track of them on the hunt and knew what they were about to nail, I *MIGHT* have a chance at it. This grackle happened to be perched on a branch of my feeding station. He got about a half a flap in panic before the hawk took him out in a burst of black feathers and a flash.
Like you say, getting the money shot would be almost a miracle. I was shooting a Bushtit last fall when something slammed into it, or the branch it was on anyway. Even then I never got a shot of anything, not even whatever it was that attacked it. I think it missed as there was no puff of feathers. I also had the pleasure this spring of shooting two Bald eagles hunting what i think was a Bufflehead. Sadly it was in the rain so almost none of the pics turned out since i couldn't get the shutter speed fast enough to capture action. Never got a money shot on that either, eventually they gave up since the surprise was long gone and the little guy just kept diving as soon as he saw one of them.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote