View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:14 PM   #1
gcounterman

Default Need help finding solution for wifes portrait/general needs.

I have been reading and researching quite a bit about "enthusiast" point and shoot/compacts and DSLRs today. I've finally reached the point of overload and am looking for some outside perspective.

I am purchasing a camera (or 2? lol) for my wife. She has been asking for a DSLR for taking portraits of our children. This camera would primarily be used at home, on a tripod, and possibly for special events where a standard point and shoot wouldn't cut it.

After looking into many DSLRs, I'm still confused, mainly as to the type of lens that one would want for portrait taking and general use. Also I'm left wondering if an SLR is even the correct solution - i.e. she wants it cause it looks professional, but her needs don't actually qualify the purchase.

At this point I am looking at buying either:

A) A $400-$600ish DSLR (with one appropriate lens for general use and portraits) and a Sony Cybershot W350 for her point and shoot needs. Models and brand of the SLR and the appropriate lens would be very helpful here.

or

B) An "enthusiast" point and shoot, if it would meet all her needs. Namely one of the following: Canon Powershot S95, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, or Nikon Coolpix P7000. As I feel one of these with a tripod may

Any input or information would be greatly appreciated
gcounterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links