View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:03 PM   #26
zig-123

[QUOTE=Rudd;1187488
I am fairly certain I will end up with the 7D. I have been watching YouTube non stop on the 7D and some about the D7000.

What lenses would you recommend to start with. I would shoot macros and portraits more than anything else. Many of the macro shots will be shot indoors of my reptile collection and various animals/flowers/insects I come across while hiking. Portraits would be mostly of my family and dogs.[/QUOTE]

Ah, another reptile guy like Edge in the Olympus forum.

Actually, I've done a bit of research on Canon wide angle lenses as I keep thinking of adding another camera to the arsenal. I've been comparing features, etc.
and in, my albeit limited experience, If I were to buy the 7D, I would most likely, have it equipped with the EF-s 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM lens.
In 35mm terms, this lens would give you focal range of 24-136mm. That would really give you a fair amount of flexibility in landscape, portrait and street photography. Another IMO, great lens is the 17-40mm L lens. As far as starting out, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I don't do much in the way of macro and I know that Shoturtle does quite a bit. I think I'll let him give you his recommendation.

One way to research what you think you might like to have, is to look at the forums here on Steve's as well as photo storage/sharing sights such as Smugmug.com.

As an example, I store my photos on Smugmug.com. There, I can browse photos done by others in any number of ways. you can run searches for the type of photography you enjoy, then look at the images and the EXIF data. That will tell you the camera, type of lens used and the settings the photographer used to get the shot. It's a great way to learn as well as determine the kind of lens that may interest you.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote