View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:56 PM   #6
Gaalahaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozhidar.Stefanov View Post
Hello!

I had a similar problem with an Ambarella based cam and banged my head up the wall for two days to solve it. There is something tricky you should know about MOV files.

[...]
Hope I helped someone!
You did!

That was the exact answer to my problem (I registered to this forum only to confirm, and try to add a few details). I have tried to use 3 different softwares to recover pics and movies from a SDcard: Photo Rec, PC Inspector File Recovery, Recuva (could not get Restoration to work on my Win 7 64 bits). All did pretty similar with recovering pics, althouh Photo Rec got a few more files back from the grave, but with completely messed up names and creation dates. Recuva recovered most of the original filenames (just the first character was missing) and the correct creation dates! (but it couldn't recover a few of the pics)

All failed at recovering any of the video files (.mov). But Photo Rec did recover 2 sets of mov files, one set of big (>1 MB) files (obviously the videos!) and one set of 96KB files (all of same sizes, obviously the headers). The other softwares would recover only "big" files, i.e. I think they had tried to put back the video and headers back together, and failed!

So from the set of small and big files recovered by Photo Rec, I was able to put the videos back together using the Hexa editor you advised (HxD). There was one small difference: the header had to be put at the very beginning of the video file, before 4 characters followed by the string "mdat" (the four characters before "mdat" would vary depending on the video file). Also some recovered video files would already have a header, usually a wrong one coming from another file. I would delete that header (actually save it because it might match another video file) and replace it with the proper one. One trick to find which header would go with which video file was to use the files recovered by Photo Rec, and those by Recuva (or others that keep the creation dates). Onces in the Hexa editor, the header contains a string that tells when (date + time) the video was shot. Then just check the files created by Recuva to figure out the full size of the video file. From that file size, you should be able to narrow down which file created by PhotoRec contains the video that goes with the header you are working on.

I recovered all my videos (maybe ~8), except for the end of one that was corrupted (I was starting to shake the camera way too much anyway, so trash footage ! :P )

Good luck, and thanks a lot for the original post!

[Camera used to create the .mov's: Canon SX 230]
Gaalahaad is offline   Reply With Quote